Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello, preventing users from writing to CDRW

how can I prevent users from writing to CDRW

while still keep it readable as a CDROM, as shown here for USB flash drives?

http://www.petri.com/disable_writing..._in_xp_sp2.htm

Thanks, Isaac

Re: Hello, preventing users from writing to CDRW

I don't think you can without third party software.

Comment

You can disable the ability to burn CD's from Windows Explorer through GPO settings, but it won't stop users from using third party burning software.

Comment

Additionally,

If your users are normal users and do not have admin access or just have limited access on the box they can not install the third party S/Ws.

But yes if they are admins then no luck...........

Regards,
        Kapil Sharma
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Just install a basic CD-ROM driver instead of the proper driver for the writer...

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

thank u all,

I dont mind if it would be by a third party software,

could u give me some names of those softwares?

Comment

I think there is an item in GPO to prevent users to insall any program.

Comment

you can also use registry settings to prevent the users from using the windows IMAPI service...

;Disable IMAPI CD-Burning Service
                [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\ImapiService]
                "Start"=dword:00000004

there are several paths to prevent burning, and all the loose ends must be tied up to prevent burning in every way, shape, form, and fashion.

you can set a GPO to disallow certian .exes from running... like nero.exe, rnmax.exe, etc...

could you also set the CD-ROM to be read-only even if its a burner? i dunno, but maybe...
                its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
                Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Originally posted by joeqwerty
                  You can disable the ability to burn CD's from Windows Explorer through GPO settings, but it won't stop users from using third party burning software
                  That is right, disabling the ImapiService alone is not enough. You must do all the solutions mensioned above;
                  1. use a GPO for the computer to Disable the service: IMAPI CD_Burning COM Service (ImapiService)
                    via Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\System Services\
                  2. Uninstall any third_party CD/DVD burning applications, or block the program executables w/ a Software Restriction Policy.
                  3. Don't give the user the right to install software by themselves.

optionally;
                  Additionally you can change the value of the registryitem 'Drive Type' of all the found CD burning drives to 3 ('Reader'). Use a 'user logon-script' to change the values in any subkey from;
                  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Curre ntVersion\Explorer\CD Burning\Drives\... http://support.microsoft.com/kb/316529/
                  And for usb-devices, you can use a 'computer startup script' to change the value of 'WriteProtect' to 1 in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\StorageDevicePolicies\

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                  and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
                  X