Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Software automatic backup My Document, outlook pst file,bookmarks

hi,
    I have a windows 2003 domain and couple windows xp workstations, anyone knows a good Software automatic backup user's My Document, outlook pst file,bookmarks to their own share folder in windows 2003 server. ( I tried roaming profile, it just take too long to login).
    thanks!
    jimmy

Re: Software automatic backup My Document, outlook pst file,bookmarks

you can implement folder redirect through group policy.
    check this out:
    http://www.windowsnetworking.com/art...rver-2003.html
    [Powershell]
    Start-DayDream
    Set-Location Malibu Beach
    Get-Drink
    Lay-Back
    Start-Sleep
    Wake-Up!
    Resume-Service
    Write-Warning
    [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

I tried that too, have trouble with offline files.

Comment

synctoy

or just a simple script
        ________
        Vaporize
        Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 17:58.
        Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

I would give Robocopy a try. A nice tool that can do what you need. I would also suggest you get the GUI tool.
          It's not exactly a backup tool, but a Copy one. So the files you need copied should not be in use when you do that. Special care with the PST files, since they are spoiled and don't like that another process touches them while Outlook has them opened.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

You can download a nice Microsoft PST Backup plug in for Outlook see here. It is really easy to use.

I agree with Sorin about Robocopy - that works excellently and usually ony copies new or changed files, so once the first backup is done, subsequent backups are really quick.

By the way, roaming profiles should only take a long time the first login, after that, they should only copy changes, not the whole thing, so should be nice and quick the second and subsequent logins. they really are worth looking into, i.e. try to get roaming profiles working. But, I suggest you use them in conjunction with folder redirection, as mentioned by killerbe, so why not fix the offline files hassles and then you'll have a really nice smooth system. If your client computers are desktops, not laptops, then you don't benefit from offline files as much as you would if they are laptops, so you can probably turn offline files off if you don't like them. So, my personal recommendation is:

1. Use roaming profiles and...
            2. Use folder redirection for desktop and my documents and...
            3. If you have not got Exchange, use the pst backup tool from microsoft.

or...

1. If you have not got Exchange, use the pst backup tool from microsoft. Make sure you use this tool to make a backup to a folder somewhere inside the "C:\Documents and Settings" folder and...
            2. Use robocopy to copy the whole of "C:\Documents and Settings" onto another hard drive for subsequent tape backup or whatever.
            Best wishes,
            PaulH.
            MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Have you ever tried NTBackup??

Comment

that's why I pickup roaming profile at beginning, but it take much long time than normal login, is there any way to find out does roaming profile only sync the diffence part of profile or simplely just pull the whole server copy profile to local XP workstation? and if so How can I fix it to only sync the difference part?
                thanks!
                jimmy

Comment

Working...
                X