Work notebook can't see home PCs

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work notebook can't see home PCs

My notebook is configured to logon to our domain at work using the wired network port. When I get home, I've configured the notebook to logon to the home network using WiFi, which it does and here I am writing this post to you on my work notebook connected to my home ISP.

My problem is that I can not see any of the PCs on the home network using the Computer Search facility in WinXP on the notebook. I can find the home PCs by specifying their names. I can not see the "Home" workgroup which the home PCs are in. Why is this so?

All OSs are WinXP SP2. Notebook logs onto the work domain using cached credentials even when at home. Thanks
    |
    +-- JDMils
    |
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades
    |

Re: Work notebook can't see home PCs

your home computers are in a workgroup, and your work laptop belongs to the work domain. why are you surprised at all?

anyhow, are you able to ping the home PCs? if they have static addresses, you can simply write those in your hosts file, and be able to find them later on by names given there.
    otherwise you should be able to access them by going to \\home_pc_IP_address\sharename
    ________
    Buy Vaporizers
    Last edited by DYasny; 6th March 2011, 17:57.
    Real stupidity always beats Artificial Intelligence (c) Terry Pratchett

BA (BM), RHCE, MCSE, DCSE, Linux+, Network+

Comment

That's because the computer name that got registered are netbios names.

Now how will your node treat the netbios names depends open what kind of your node is?

Just do IPCONFIG /ALL and you can see what kind of node it is?

for ref just see the attached pic.

now there are four finds of nodes:

1. Broadcast
      2. Mixed
      3. Peer-Peer
      4. Hybrid

Make it mixed as it will gather the info by broadcast also.

To change that follow:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/160177

Please let me know if I have understood it wrong.

Regards,
      Kapil Sharma
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Notebook is now in Mixed mode but it still can't see the other PCs at home. Does it matter that the other PCs are in a different workgroup?

I can directly access the other PCs via UNC.
        |
        +-- JDMils
        |
        |

Comment

Hi,

The computer on which My Network Places, Network Neighborhood, or Windows Explorer is being used is known as the browse client. The computer that is providing the list of workgroups or the list of systems within a workgroup is known as a browse server. The list of workgroups and the systems within a specific workgroup is known as the browse list.

For the designated Master Browse Server computer, configure it to be a preferred Master Browse Server

Launch the REGEDIT utility by clicking Start\Run\Regedit.exe.
          Set the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters\MaintainServerList registry setting to Yes.

For all the other computers on the network, configure them with following key:

Launch the REGEDIT utility by clicking Start\Run\Regedit.exe.
          Set the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\Browser\Parameters \MaintainServerList registry setting to No.

Note: Any single machine can also be configured as Browser Master.......

Regards,
          Kapil Sharma
          ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
          Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Don't edit your registry, just use the UNC path and make shortcuts. If the domain and laptop were set up with any security at all, you wouldn't be able to edit the registry anyway.
            ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I think you're right, Wired. I'll just used the UNCs. I was hoping that, like all my other work notebooks (from other jobs) that it would search the home network and pick up all the PC names.
              |
              +-- JDMils
              |
              |

Comment

Depends on how they locked it down
                ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

I'm an AD admin and thus moved my workstation into a new OU which had no GPOs applied to it!
                  |
                  +-- JDMils
                  |
                  |

Comment

Wouldn't this make your laptop a possible security hole if said GPs were in place for security?

Comment

Originally posted by Wired View Post
                      Wouldn't this make your laptop a possible security hole if said GPs were in place for security?
                      They're not! They're in place to lock down all workstations, even the admins ones, so that we can't even fart.

I move it out of the OU so that I could make sure it wasn't a GPO- I'm the admin u know!
                      |
                      +-- JDMils
                      |
                      |

Comment

Working...
                      X