Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Laptops only - Long boot up sequence after joining a new domain

Hello,

In October we implemented an entirely new 2003 R2 domain in our company (we kept the same domain name as the old one, but each computer and laptop left the old domain before implementing the new one. Then we added the computers to the new domain. We were using Win2000 Server before). There's 18 laptops on our domain, and since I added the laptops to our new domain, it takes around 2-3 minutes before getting the CTRL+ALT+DEL screen. But desktop computers has no problem at boot up.

I also want you to know that I kept the existing roaming profiles for all users. But I don't see a link between my problem and the profiles since my problem is before authentification.

Here's the way laptops are configured:

- Users are really restricted, no admin permission to users who possess those laptops
    - Network adapters are set up with an Alternate Configuration. If a laptop is on a network where there's a DHCP server (like in Hotels), it will get that IP to access the network. If there's no DHCP (like when they're at the Head Office), the user will get the IP adress that was determined for him (Alt.Config.).

*** I know that it takes up to 1 minute just because the laptop is looking for a DHCP Server. But it is longer since the new domain. The problem is when you see Applying System Settings (or something like that... Sorry, All OS are in french ).

- No special GPO are deployed to workstations (Default Windows GPO for now - Except that I created a GPO for Computers using WSUS3.0, no laptops...).

- No DNS problem at the servers.

- All laptops have McAfee Virusscan Enterprise installled

- I looked into Event Viewer and there's 2 events that I can't get rid of (maybe the problem's coming from there?) --> Event #4621 & #4356

- No Events on the server

I just don't know where to look anymore... Just ask me if you want more info. I'd be veeeerrry pleased if somebody could help me with that (like every person who are posting for problems of their own.. )

From a desperate guy...

P.S. Sorry if I misspelled some words or sentences, english is not my native language...

Re: Laptops only - Long boot up sequence after joining a new domain

1. Restart the computer once and choose "Enable boot logging" from the start-up options. (It comes after pressing F8 during startup of the computer.)

It will create a log file (%systemroot%\ntbtlog.txt) there you can see where exactly it's taking time.

2. Share the complete error from system and application logs if any.

Regards,
    Kapil Sharma
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Comment

Re: Laptops only - Long boot up sequence after joining a new domain

Originally posted by northface View Post

- I looked into Event Viewer and there's 2 events that I can't get rid of (maybe the problem's coming from there?) --> Event #4621 & #4356
      input the number id in the box and <return> to view the specifics about the event ID.

http://www.eventid.net/search.asp
      lamers note: bookmark this page so you dont have to ask about event IDs.

yours are:
      and
      its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
      Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Working...
      X