Cannot install ANY Windows Updates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot install ANY Windows Updates

I have just rebuilt an old laptop with a fresh copy of Windows XP SP1a on it. I installed SP2 from a downloaded copy I have on CD. After attempting to visit Windows Updates site I can do everything apart from actually install the updates. The machine has found updates and downloaded them, but when it goes to install it fails on all 85 updates.
    I upgraded the laptop to IE7 in case this was the issue. Again still no joy. There's no error message other than "failed" which is no use what so ever. I am truly stumped on what else to try. I am using an admin account to attempt the install. Can anyone help?
    Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Re: Cannot install ANY Windows Updates

I would check the Event Log for any errors regarding the Windows Update.
    Post back the results, and we'll try to go further from there.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by ]SK[ View Post
      I have just rebuilt an old laptop with a fresh copy of Windows XP SP1a on it. I installed SP2 from a downloaded copy I have on CD. After attempting to visit Windows Updates site I can do everything apart from actually install the updates. The machine has found updates and downloaded them, but when it goes to install it fails on all 85 updates.
      I upgraded the laptop to IE7 in case this was the issue. Again still no joy. There's no error message other than "failed" which is no use what so ever. I am truly stumped on what else to try. I am using an admin account to attempt the install. Can anyone help?
      Is your copy of Windows legal and installed on only one machine with that license key? What happens when you run the Windows Genuine Advantage check?

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Event Logs don't show any errors.

The copy is legal. I have installed Genuine Advantage. The Diagnostic tools for WGA show it is installed an Validated.
        Please remember to leave positive reputation points (The Ying Yang Icon) if someone helps you.

Comment

What happens when you install just one update by itself?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Make sure BITS is not disabled...
            Marcel
            Technical Consultant
            Netherlands
            http://www.phetios.com
            http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
            "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
            "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Single updates also fail. Doesn't matter what type of update it is either EG Driver. It always fails.

BITS is running.

Comment

Geeeeeeeeee.... I hate these tough nuts...
                OK, dude, let's get to lower layers. Please check the Windows Update log file and see what it's written in there. Check for a file called windowsupdate.log right under your Windows folder. Take a look and post here any relevant info you get there. For more info about how to deal with this log, see this article from MS knowledge base: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
                Also take a look at this post: http://www.daniweb.com/forums/post161833-7.html . There are a lot of ideas inside regarding possible causes to failed updates and their workarounds.
                We're eager to hear the results.

Added: please tell me is not the 0x8007007E error...
                And more: if you're feeling lazy today, you may try this nice-looking tool: http://www.altairtech.ca/FireGenUL/
                Last edited by sorinso; 19th December 2007, 20:15. Reason: I wonder ... and a nice tool...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

Working...
                X