svchost.exe - Application Error

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• svchost.exe - Application Error

Hi all

HP Compaq nc6220, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD, 2.13GHz Intel Centrino

I have just started to receive the following popup error on a continuous basis

svchost.exe - Application Error

The instruction at "0x00fb6faa" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "written".

I cannot think of anything new that I have installed in the past few days and this error has just started in the past 24 hours

I have done a windows update today but the problem seems to have existed prior to that update

I can force the error to reappear by simply opeing windows explorer

If anyone has any experience with the error, and/or suggestions on how to resolve it, that would be appreciated

Re: svchost.exe - Application Error

Do you start some specific application after which this error starts populating?

Kapil Sharma
    Life is too short, Enjoy It.

Two things I will do at this stage:
      - run a full-scale pest-infection scan (to check for viruses and all other possible malware);
      - check the Event Viewer -> Application for a more detailed error message.
      SVCHOST is a generic process, hosting tens of possible services. From the info you gave so far I cannot give a more elaborate answer than this.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

Hi Dave - Have you tried the MS articles? There is a general one referring to stop 0x00000000 and its siblings, under ID 329284. You can send a report to MS - if it does not help it will at least not hurt. Another suggestion is that if no malware it may be caused by one of the updates that MS rains on us daily. Go back, using System Restore to a date before the last update and see what happens. Please post back to let us know as 0x00000000 occurs quite often and is difficult to solve. Good luck - Amos.

Firstly, thank you guys for your suggestions

Note this is not a blue screen of death STOP - just an error popup that can be closed and allows me to continue

As for applications that trigger this it can be anything and everything

Simply opening a Windows Explorer is enough to trigger it

The event logs don't give any useful data, just

Faulting application svchost.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module unknown, version, fault address 0x00fb6faa.

No viruses (or is that virusi) or pests - system is swept daily and clean

But (isn't there always a but !)

I have tracked it down intuitively to the software and drivers for the HP PSC 2510 that came on a CD with the printer originally back in 2004

That was the first set of software that I uninstalled and on rebooting to clean up, the error stopped appearing

I then downloaded the later web release off the HP website and installed that (last night) and so far so good

The system has been much more stable, the error has not reappeared, the printer works and all is well

So, thanks for the suggestions, much appreciate the time you guys take to offer these

For those that it is applicable to "Merry Xmas" and for others that it is applicable to, a belated "Happy Chanukah"

To everyone, happy New Year

Till the next issue !

10nx, deebekay, for posting the result of your work, especially along with the solution and the way you got to it.
            A gr8 New Year to us all !!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.