My Documents redirection causes Office to hang when browsing files

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Documents redirection causes Office to hang when browsing files

I have a client that uses my documents redirection to point to their h: drive. This part is working correctly. They have an odd issue in that sometimes when they hit the open button while in word or excel the program will stop responding. I've found that it will come out of this if I actually browse to their H: drive while in My Computer. After that, everything will work great for short amount of time. I'd estimate about 5 minutes. They only have this issue when using the open button in Office to browse to files stored in My Documents. DNS and Netbios are operating correctly. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a way to fix this? I've looked around google a bit, but this problem is hard to find because it describes so many common technologies.

Thanks for the help!

Quick Specs:
    Server is Windows 2003 SBS
    Client is Windows XP SP2
    Office is 2003 with SP3

Re: My Documents redirection causes Office to hang when browsing files

IOW, this is only occurring in Office, and it seems as if it is timing out trying to access the network resource, when in fact it is completely available and easily accessible vie explorer? Yet, on accessing via explorer, Office seems to start working with the drive correctly, as if it is a local drive as opposed to a networked resource assigned (substituted) to a local drive letter?

I swear I had this exact problem several years back - older version of office, though. Let me see if I can find anything on what I did to resolve it (because, as I remember it now, it was resolved)....

One thing - is you NIC allowed to go into a standby mode? (Dev Mgr --> NIC --> Properties --> Advanced (?) tab --> Allow windows to turn this device off to save power (or something like that - I apologize if the verbiage is wrong, I do not have access to an XP machine at the moment)....

Of course, this theory is probably negated if the user is simultaneously surfing the web and the problem still occurs....

Unless it is the NIC on the networked resource device....
    sigpic

Comment

You are understanding correctly.

It doesn't appear to be related to power saving. This user doesn't have any turned on type of power saving functions on. It seems to happen after they have opened several documents. This user regularly has 5-20 excel documents open before it starts happening.

Comment

Hmm 0 I did a bit of searching and ran into these two articles, although neither is really promising:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3293...id=2530&sid=49

http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-623...203061&start=0

This client of yours - does the problem affect all their workstations / PCs or just a *single* one?
        sigpic

Comment

It seems to only be happening with one person, but I wouldn't be surprised if the other people just haven't said anything.

I think I found a decent lead in those links you provided. Someone pointed to this article in your second link. I'm going to give it a try.
          http://support.microsoft.com/kb/833041

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
          X