Moving Folder Using "SourcePath" In Registry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Folder Using "SourcePath" In Registry

I would like to move the folder "ServicePackFiles" and its sub-Folder "i386" from the C:\Windows to a Folder on another hard drive , say G:\Applications .

I understand this can be done by by editing the Registry in HKLM>SOFTWARE>MICROSOFT>WINDOWS>CURRENT VERSION>SETUP>SOURCEPATH so that when this Folder is moved , its new path will be known to the PC.

My problem is that there is no "SOURCEPATH" at that address in my Registry.

Can I just add this to the Registry ?

Could someone also tell me whether , if this is possible , then what exactly will I also have to enter in SOURCEPATH so that the proposed change in the above Folder will be effected?

Re: Moving Folder Using "SourcePath" In Registry

I have no idea.
    Although it is not recommended to delete it (for uninstall and future adding/removing of components purposes), this folder can be compressed. Take a look at this article: Compress the ServicePackFiles\i386 folder in Windows XP.
    Max, you can try and let us all know

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

[QUOTE=sorinso;86480]I have no idea.
      Although it is not recommended to delete it (for uninstall and future adding/removing of components purposes), this folder can be compressed. Take a look at this article: Compress the ServicePackFiles\i386 folder in Windows XP.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I've seen that article about compressing the Folder and I'm considering doing just that but I'd prefer to move it if that is possible.

What stimulated this thread was an article here :-

http://ask-leo.com/can_i_remove_the_...ws_folder.html

I've asked the same question there but , so far , haven't got a reply.

Comment

My understanding (and I may be misremembering) is that that particular key is used in OEM installs to allow for customization of XP features / programs / services / etc without having to have an XP CD handy. If the key does not exist then you can easily create it and then when you go to change some aspect of your XP install that requires the CD the first place it will look is where that key points to.

Best bet - move the folder, create the key, and then try to do something like adding Print for UNIX or something else that you currently don't have installed - and see if it works.
        sigpic

Comment

Another thing you can do (although I am not satisfied with the solution, is not "pretty") is to use the NTFS option of mounting a volume into a folder.
          If you have some unallocated space on another drive, create a partition/volume inside and mount it to the ServicePackFiles folder (after, of course, you moved the files to a temporary location and then moved them back to the folder).
          As I say, is not an idea I'm proud of, but it solves (should read "postpones") the problem.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

@Sorin - No offense, because this question stems from curiosity and a desire to learn - but why go through all that trouble?

@thenoo - The easiest way to make sue what you need to enter would be to enter the full path in the registry key, and then to try to 'add' a Windows XP component - if the path entered is incorrect, you'll get a dialog box stating the setup files could not be found at {location}, where location is what your key translated into in the machine.

I have a Dell Laptop that I am working on currently, with the i386 folder located in a particular location - c:\i386. The key points to "C:\", indicating that the key needs the full path to the folder that *contains* the \i386 folder.

Thus, it seems to me that making a copy of that \i386 folder in whatever path, say "X:\{foldername}\{subfoldername}\i386" would require that the key contain "X:\{foldername}\{subfoldername}\"

HTH
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by johnlgalt View Post
              @Sorin - No offense, because this question stems from curiosity and a desire to learn - but why go through all that trouble?
              No offense taken.
              As I already stated in my post, it is far from being a "pretty" solution. Nevertheless, I felt I have to post it.
              Whenever I reply to someone's request, I never decide what's best for her/him. I have to give all the solutions I see, and let the OP to decide. It's not my job to do it. What I do is to add my suggestion and my opinion about every solution apart. Of course that the fact that everyone else in the forum express their opinion too is something that both myself and the OP only earn from.
              More than that: while coming to give an answer, I always remember that one day, someone will come and search the forum with the same problem, so all the possible solutions have to be available.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
              X