IE 7 in Win XP cannot connect

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE 7 in Win XP cannot connect

I have scoured the net looking for an answer - one particular blog about IE 7 when it went Beta in 2005 by Mary Jo Foley over at ZDNet has a lot of comments, a few of which describe this problem exactly.

basically, start IE, and it sits there saying "connecting..." without ever connecting.

Noting is wrong with the XP itself - every other browser I have tried works, PING, tracert, FTP, telnet, etc all work. Only IE 7.

I checked it out, and it was a year old - RC 1 from Sept 2006. I uninstalled it - IE 6 exhibited the same symptoms. I installed the latest IE 7 - still same problems.

Automatic updates for the computer work, so after 48 updates all is well - except for IE 7.

I have found a whole slew of sites referring to this problem, and as I commented on the blog, I noticed a lot of the mentioned problems were specifically on laptops - which this is as well - a Dell Inspiron 5100. The laptop is a part of the Research grant that he works on at the local University, and I checked to see if there were special group policy . security policy restrictions, and AFAICT there were none.

Again, every method to connect to the internet is successful - every protocol I could think of, and every other browser I tried (Fx, Fx portable, Opera, Netscape, GreenBrowser, etc. - as in true browsers, not IE overlays, did not try any of them) works.

Has anyone run into this problems specifically and have a specific resolution for it?
    sigpic

Re: IE 7 in Win XP cannot connect

Have you tried uninstalling IE7 (reboot) > uninstall IE6 from Windows componenets (reboot) > reinstall IE6 from Windows components> download IE7 manually http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en (reboot)

Test. If same issue arises post back and I will look for further solutions ( I am sure either A. some registry editting needs to be done or B. some dll's need to be registered)
    J

Comment

Yanno, actually, I did not - the last time I had messed with the computer was because it keep overheating - over a year ago - I had to take it apart to find that all the air intakes were clogged with dust. After I got it blown out and cleaned I got online and upgraded his XP to latest SP and updates, and installed the IE 7 RC 1 - and it all worked at that time.

Since then something happened - but in testing this time around, I didn't try uninstalling IE 6 - I assumed a fresh install of IE 7 would fix any basic problems - oh well.

I'll give it a try this sometime later this week - I have Netscape 9 on there now and it is working fine, so access is once again there. If I have further problems, I'll also try running SFC and see if that fixes it - and if it does not, then I'll post back.

Thanks for the advice.
      sigpic

Comment

No go. IE 6 still will not connect, and installing IE 7 will lead to the same error again.
        sigpic

Comment

Just for the heck of it check the connection and proxy settings in IE and make sure it is not set to work offline. It just seems strange the Netscape can connect but IE can't.

Comment

Already did - not set to work offline, and doesn't work regardless of whether I have it set to automatically detect settings or not.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X