XP Pro corruption in TCPIP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Pro corruption in TCPIP

I have a Windows XP Pro svc pak 2 desktop that suddenly will not browse the internet. It will ping outside ip's successfuly but can not resolve domain to ip. when given the ping command it responds with a beep and in the return message it has garbage characters where the ip should be in the message and then goes forward and successfully pings and replies. It connects and is successful in all ways on the local network her except for this dns resolution problem.

I have installed a new network card, run NETSH (netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt) twice, removed and restored Internet Explorer and all network services via the remove and install interface, checked for virus, checked for spyware... and searched my head for an explanation and answer to this problem before we re-install the OS.

Does anyone have aan idea, explanation or fix..?

Re: XP Pro corruption in TCPIP

What happens when you ping the following:

ping localhost

ping 127.0.0.1

Comment

hi my boss left for a moment and I am responding for him, I pinged the two places you gave me and it acted similar to when we have tried this with other locations.

"when given the ping command it responds with a beep and in the return message it has garbage characters where the ip should be in the message and then goes forward and successfully pings and replies"

thanks

Comment

It may be that the TCP/IP stack is corrupt. Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing it?

Comment

yes, according to my boss that was the purpose of the netsh command

Comment

I'm out of ideas then, short of a complete re-install of the OS. Sorry.

Comment

For giggles run winsockfix
              http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4372.html
              after doing so you will have to reinput any static IP that you had set on the NIC.
              Post back with results.

Comment

Thank you for the assist... I did reset an ip number for the computer but it did not help..

We ended up re-installing the os and scratching our heads

Thanks again

Peter

Comment

Working...
                X