Cannot logoff Windows 2000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cannot logoff Windows 2000

I cannot logoff or shutdown using the Start> shutdown or Start> logoff, nor by using CRTL_ALT_DEL. Neither by using the offered shutdown and restart option having made some change that the system detects needs a shutdown to activate. Neither by using the logoff utility in the Windows 2000 Resource Kit. Using Start>shutdown, the "Are you sure" dialog comes up, but selecting yes does nothing. The system continues to run as normal with no messages, no errors. At first I thought it was the same as Willi123's post on 30th June 2004, 13:16, but for him the problem only affected Administrator. With me it seems to randomly affect several profiles, regardless of privilege level. From a cold boot, I find I am allowed one logoff or shutdown and then the problem kicks in. The only way to shutdown or logoff is to remove the mains power supply and pop the battery out. Am running 2000 SP4 on a Dell C600 laptop.

Re: Cannot logoff Windows 2000

Do administrators have the same problem?
    Regards,
    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Yes, Jeremy, the problem occurs regardless of whether the user has Administrator privilege or not.
      I get ONE normal logoff or shutdown following a reboot. After that, on any user account (there are 7), regardless of privilege, it is impossible to shutdown, restart or logoff.
      It looked hopeful that the problem lay in the laptop believing it was part of a network: there was some NetWare software lurking. However, I successfully uninstalled that (Start>Settings>Network connections>local area connections>properties and >incoming connections) and now there's no evidence of NetWare, yet the problem remains.
      In fact I CAN hold down the power switch and get the result described in Microsoft Article ID : 810903 Last Review : May 7, 2007 Revision : 3.3, namely a hang at an inset blue screen with the message "It is now safe to turn off your computer". I then have to pop the battery at that point to move forward.

My own thoughts: run Registry Mechanic 7 (I haven't bought it yet - any recommendation?) or upgrade to windows XP? I've spent the whole day on it and I can't afford not to be able to move easily between user accounts.
      Would be grateful for your further advice. Many thanks.

(For info: Top 5 in CPU usage oder: System idle 99% with bursts roughly every second of Services.exe at 7% and DWLGTI.exe at 4% (the last one is my 'D-link' router, I believe). Everything below that zero.
      No attached hardware; no docking station.
      Regards,
      Mike

Comment

Well that does seem a bit strange.

I'm not familiar with Novel NetWare but I imagine that there would be client of some sort installed on the computer if it really thinks its part of a Novel network. Did you look through the installed programs?

If you decide to move to XP, I recommend doing a clean installed (as opposed to an in-place upgrade) because if you don't there's a good chance you'll inherit any problems you have now.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by mike2vc View Post
          DWLGTI.exe at 4% (the last one is my 'D-link' router, I believe).
          Indeed it is.
          I never heard about this problem, so I went looking on the web (more like a shot in the dark). I found some resources, take a look, something might work.
          BTW, have you contacted DELL representative? Maybe they have heard already about this issue...
          Now I see that you already answered a lot of questions on other forums.

Resources:
          How to troubleshoot shutdown problems in Windows 2000.
          Quote from Windows XP Slow Startup and Shutdown:
          On older laptops like Dell C600 and C610 one of the most common causes of Windows shut down problems is a bug in Roxio's Easy CD Creator version 5.
          Do you?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Many thanks to Jeremy and Sorinso for their help and suggestions. Sorry it's taken me so long to get back.
            I have proved that it was the Sunbelt (aka Kerio) Personal Firewall that was causing the problem. Uninstall it & the problem disappears. Re-install it & the problem returns.

A few thoughts perhaps useful to have recorded here for anyone else with similar problems:
            1. I'm certain I read somewhere (can't now find it) that Kerio was problematic in this area.
            2. The idea that a process was being 'held open' led me to the firewall.
            3. Along the road of reaching a solution I found out how to get rid of Novell NetWare, which caused unnecessary and confusing dialogs when creating new users, so that was useful anyway.
            4. One part of the advice in the KB315409 was to shut down running processes one by one, and each time see if the problem stopped (not a quick option!). However, doing that I noticed that each time I stopped kpf4.gui it simply re-appeared further down the list of processes.
            5. Simply diasabling the firewall wasn't sufficient either - only an uninstall did the trick.

Other thoughts in conclusion:

In trying to solve this, running Spybot and Advanced Windows Care was useful. (Although AWC has anti-spyware itself, so I'm not sure if the money spent on Spybot was really necessary in the end? Any opinions?

However, it has satisfied me that no trojans were lurking, and the AWC has improved other aspects of computer running.

Both Kb 315409 (How to troubleshoot shutdown problems in Windows 2000) and Kb 810903 ("It is Now Safe to Turn Off Your Computer" error message when you try to shut down your computer) broadly say 'try checking everything'.
            It also doesn't inspire confidence when their Step 1 involves clicking the APM tab, which I don't have.
            Oh yes: 'Try talking to 3rd party vendors'. Come on Microsoft, this is plainly unhelpful.

Sadly, in trying hard to resolve this I have caused other problems with user profiles and also have a problem driving a separate monitor. Further posts (when I get time to post them!) are on the cards. But thanks again to all for offering time and advice.
            Mike

Comment

Hey Mike, thanks for following up. It sounds like you were very persistent in your troubleshooting and I imagine that your comments will be helpful to others searching for answers.
              Regards,
              Jeremy

www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
              X