• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Burning .iso file

Ok, I got an .iso file which has 3.3gb

Now, I need to burn the iso file.

Each of my empty CD has 700mb.

So.... is it possible to burn the iso file into more than a CD (like file splitting)?

Thx

Re: Burning .iso file

No.

You would have to mount it, split the files and create three ISO's.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

What would you do with the split files? If you are wanting to create bootable media then you will need to burn the single iso file to DVD. If you are merely trying to get the iso on to a CD for backup or transport purposes then you can use ISOBuster to extract the contents and then burn the extracted files to multiple CD's.

Comment

No.

You would have to mount it, split the files and create three ISO's.
        Ok, so, for example, mount'd and splitted, eventually... 3 iso converted into 3 cds. Would that work as a bootable process? Because it's for Vista, I'd like to install Vista on a new PC.

What would you do with the split files? If you are wanting to create bootable media then you will need to burn the single iso file to DVD.
        Yes, I want it to be bootable. But I don't have DVD.

If you are merely trying to get the iso on to a CD for backup or transport purposes then you can use ISOBuster to extract the contents and then burn the extracted files to multiple CD's.
        Is that bootable?

If I done installing 1 iso from 1st CD, the windows message would ask me to load cd2 or something like that during the Vista installation.
        Last edited by TryMe; 18th November 2007, 04:02.

Comment

You can't split an iso file and then create bootable CD's from the split files. You will have to make a single bootable DVD from the iso file. You'll need to get a DVD drive.

Comment

3 iso won't work?

Um ok, would it work if I get one of my movies DVDs, load it up on PC, delete everything on it and then burn Vista onto it?

Comment

No, three iso files won't work. Unless your movie DVD is re-writable it won't work either. You're going to have to shell out some $$ for a DVD burner and media unless you have a friend/coworker, etc. that has one you can use.

Comment

Oh well, I'm stuck.

But can I install XP first (I have a XP disc), when it's done installing... then can I install Vista??

Comment

To be able to work with an ISO file that contains a bootable image, one will need to burn it (or mount it) on a single media disc. As the guys said earlier, you cannot split it into three, just to fit to your existing media. And the disc has to contain the multiple volume spanning feature, otherwise won't be able to tell you to insert the next disc.
                  This is not the case with the Vista installation. As I see it at the moment, you have to options:
                  1) spend some money to get yourself a DVD drive (burner, if you want to burn that ISO) and some media. This has a lot of advantages in the long-term, or
                  2) install XP, get a tool like DaemonTools, that create virtual drives, and mount with it the ISO file, and start Vista installation from within XP. This is the option to pick for short-term, but it is almost useless in long term. Eventually, you will have to buy that DVD drive...
                  I never installed Vista from XP, but it should work.

Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                  In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                  -
                  «««««

Comment

Thanks but actually you guys are wrong. It's actually possible to burn the iso file into more than a CD.

http://www.vistapcguy.net/?p=46

It worked for me, got vista installed and running with no problem.

Comment

It goes to show that you learn something new everyday. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Thanks for the article.
                        Personally, I would prefer to stick to one the methods shown in the replies of your posts, but that's me.

Note to self: a question like :
                        is it possible to burn the iso file into more than a CD (like file splitting)?
                        can actually lead to something else... Looks like I was too much among humans, and my Vulcan senses are getting bolder...
                        Last edited by sorinso; 19th November 2007, 06:36. Reason: thinking loud...

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                        In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                        -
                        «««««

Comment

Sorin, please stop thinking so loud. I had my headphone turned up full and nearly resulted in a Mind Meld and that would have been disasterous for YOU!!

As for this whole process above, while useful to know (perhaps), the price of DVD burners is now so low (I have seen one in OZ for AUD$28 ), is it really worth spending the time dissecting a DVD to make it span several CDs?

Originally posted by sorinso
                          Note to self: a question like :
                          Quote:
                          is it possible to burn the iso file into more than a CD (like file splitting)?
                          can actually lead to something else... Looks like I was too much among humans, and my Vulcan senses are getting bolder...
                          I agree totally with the above quote. (Sorry to drag you down to my level Sorin) but my initial reaction was NO, it can't be done. Here we are, supposed IT professionals with open minds ready to try anything to get the app running or to fix an unknown problem BUT I looked at TryMe's problem with a closed mind.

If nothing this has been an excellent post in reminding me that one should not look at anything with a preconceived attituded and have an open mind when viewing ANY problem. Thanks for that lesson TryMe and while the Rep Points weren't designed for this, I am giving you some for reminding me about or perhaps re-teaching me a lesson I had (long? ) forgotten.
                          1 1 was a racehorse.
                          2 2 was 1 2.
                          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Well, BigB, I wouldn't flog myself that hard. We are, after all, only humans...
                            Regarding the method shown here... Hm, what can I say ? It doesn't give me thrills. Although seems to solve the problem of installing Vista without a DVD drive, I doubt that this method can be an overall solution.
                            For other purposes, all the above-mentioned method sound a lot easier and fool-proof.
                            Lesson learned, anyway.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                            -
                            «««««

Comment

It's exicting to learn new stuff everyday, isn't it?

The reason why I used CDs instead of a just single DVD is (to be honest) that my old DVD burner is actually broken somewhat. I have built a new PC with another DVD R/RW drive. At that point, I became struck because I didn't think that installing XP first then Vista would be the best choice. True, I should have thought better that I should have installed XP first, then use my new DVD burner to burn Vista onto a DVD (I have a few empty DVDs now :P) then reformat PC and install vista freshly. It's a lot easier than just burning the file into 5 cds.

Still, I would be still stuck if I didn't make this thread in the first place. Some of your posts have drained me some doubts which made me motivated in some case so I started researching more and found the solution.

Thanks for the support again, guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X