Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Virtual memory problem when running FM08.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Virtual memory problem when running FM08.

Hi all,
    After playing 7 seasons in Football Manager 2008, i got two error mesages and

I have a strong computer: 1GB DDR, Pentium4 3000 mHz, while the recommended requirements for this game - 512 MB RAM and much lower processor, i also have a lot of free space on HD and no other programs running together with my game, only active antivirus .

After i read the support forums of the game and the fun forums i didn't really found the fix for the lethal errors and i decided to post in the forums which deal with heavy computer problems.

In this site i got the info how to change the size and location of the pagefile, but that didn't solve the problem too, but i discover something suspicious in the Task Manager, here you can see it

Are there another things to try in my computer before upgrading the RAM? Many people said me that they can run the game for much more seasons with much less RAM memory (512mb) without getting errors, so i feel that it can be solved for me without adding RAM.

Please help me with my errors, i will very appreciate your effort to help me.

Re: Virtual memory problem when running FM08.

You could always switch to Cricket

More seriously, does the problem happen with ANY other program or is it just the one game?
    What operating system are you running -- and what service pack?
    Are your patches / AV updates fully up to date?
    Could you post a shot of your Virtual Memory settings -- preferably annotated fully in English!
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

A word of advice - when creating the screen shot, use the program to *cut the picture down to the image that you want displayed - this is called 'Cropping' - then, instead of posting full sized images (at 1024/768 resolution) you have much smaller images (without all the extra stuff that you are having to white out), making it a lot easier to manage.

For example, I re-did you pics using the crop method:
      Attached Files
      sigpic

Comment

lets get some specifics on your pagefile....

1) what is currently allocated for your pagefile?

2) how is it allocated? system managed or manually?

lamer note: you can find all that information by right-clicking "My Computer" and selecting "Properties", then the "Advanced" tab, and select the first button titled "Performance"

i dont like the way your commit charge is displayed. the way it looks would make me reformat the computer immediately, but im guessing that you'll say you cant, so thats cool. read on...

follow these little snippets of wisdom:

you have stated that you have 512 megs of ram. windows recommends 1.5 times the amount of physical RAM be dedicated to the pagefile... so you should have a 768 meg pagefile if windows is managing it. being that your having some problems, dont let windows manage it and make the number twice the recommended size and allocate a gig (1024 megs min./2048 megs max) to your pagefile... remember, you will have to reboot before the changes to the pagefile take effect.

does that change anything?

open up task manager and close all unnecessary processes before running the game. start your football program. on the processes tab, find the process associated with FM08, and watch the mem usage column...

make note of what happens as you load the game or whatever you do with it.. i have never played FM08, so i dont know.

what happens in the mem column?

at the forum, there was only one post with a similar theme:
        http://community.sigames.com/eve/for...1/m/2232013163
        there was no advice offered...

you could get a copy of madden instead.
        its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
        Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
          You could always switch to Cricket

More seriously, does the problem happen with ANY other program or is it just the one game?
          What operating system are you running -- and what service pack?
          Are your patches / AV updates fully up to date?
          Could you post a shot of your Virtual Memory settings -- preferably annotated fully in English!
          This problem happen only with this game, i played heavier game before - CSS and never dealt with memory problems.
          I use Windows XP Professional SP2, by accident i posted in another windows section,sorry.
          Everything is updated.
          Here are my Virtual Memory pagefile settings:

Are there another things to check about Virtual memory ? TY

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
            open up task manager and close all unnecessary processes before running the game. start your football program. on the processes tab, find the process associated with FM08, and watch the mem usage column...

make note of what happens as you load the game or whatever you do with it.. i have never played FM08, so i dont know.

what happens in the mem column?
            While running FM08, i see in Task Manager that the game takes 260000(K) in virtual memory , but why my RAM(1gb) and pagefile can't deal with it? I setted pagefile for max 3gb as you see on added image.
            Someone ?
            Last edited by Zevik; 18th November 2007, 19:45.

Comment

Can someone help please ?
              I will very appretiate your advices.

Comment

Try removing the Pagefile on the D drive or reduce the one on the C Drive to 2MB. Reboot the system and see if you still have the problem.
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

As Biggles said, change the C drive to fixed 2Mb pagefile (min and max sizes the same)
                  On D (if you have the space) put in a fixed size say 2048Mb page file (IMHO 3Gb of RAM and PF will be ample). MAke sure you DEFRAG your D drive first

Reboot, retry and let us know
                  Tom Jones
                  MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
                  PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
                  IT Trainer / Consultant
                  Ossian Ltd
                  Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Changed the size of the pagefile in D (min 2048 mb, min 2048 mb) and also changed the size of the pagefile in C (min 2 mb, max 2 mb). Accepted and restarted the computer, but the game crushes with the same errors. There is no solution except buy addition to RAM ?

Comment

Originally posted by johnlgalt View Post
                      A word of advice - when creating the screen shot, use the program to *cut the picture down to the image that you want displayed - this is called 'Cropping' - then, instead of posting full sized images (at 1024/768 resolution) you have much smaller images (without all the extra stuff that you are having to white out), making it a lot easier to manage.

For example, I re-did you pics using the crop method:
                      You could just do alt-print screen, it will just capture the focused window.
                      "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Have you patched your game with all the latest updates? I feel there might be memory leakage problem.

Comment

I have the game patched, the errors don't depend on the patches. Help please.

Comment

Next time you're running low on memory open up Task Manager [Ctrl+shift+Esc] and take note of what processes are using the most memory. [View -> Select Columns... to change what columns are displayed. You're looking for Memory Usage]

If it's the game that is using up the memory then contact the company to see if they have a solution or a patch.

If it's not the game, post the name of the process(es) and we'll go from there.
                            Regards,
                            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Its the game which eat most of memory in processes - i wrote before, 260000(K). I will abandon this topic and just will upgrade my RAM. TY all for help anyway, i was glad to see that people trying to help.

Comment

Working...
                              X