OEM and VLM

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OEM and VLM

Approaching our 25 licenses, so need to think about licensing more machines. We are planning to purchase bankrupt stock which will apparently arrive with the drives securely wiped, so OEM is out of the question.

Going to give MS a call tomorrow, but what is the scale for VLM? I know we have the first 25 XP and Office licenses due to partnership - do they accept payment for example <50, <100 licenses etc? Just curious... the account managers are never easy to get hold of!

If not, i take it would be XP and Office *full products* then?

Thanks!

Re: OEM and VLM

OEM may not be out of the question if it has the Product key on the box, get the corresponding media and you should be set. Office too if you are lucky.

Your only other option is retail, there is no VL for full XP.

Office Volume License starts at 5.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Does that mean there is no VL for XP *now* or that there never was one in the beginning?

I cannot count the number of machines I ran across that were pirated copies of machines using a VLK (Volume License Key) - all three flavors, XP, XP SP1 *and* XP SP2 (one of the keys to knowing was to look at the System Properties window - the data under the Registered Owner was the license info - the second 'set' of numbers, a 3 digit number, was in the range of 640-649 for VLKs, which M$ abolished from 641-649 with SP2, leaving only 'legitimate VLKs with 640 as the second set of 3 digit numbers.) In fact, there was a big stink in that anything that had 641-649 could not install SP2 because it (SP2) recognized the blacklisted keys and prompted that the OS install seemed to be a pirated one.

Or, is this a recent development because of the release of Vista?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by johnlgalt View Post
        Does that mean there is no VL for XP *now* or that there never was one in the beginning?
        Never was, not likely there ever will be.

I cannot count the number of machines I ran across that were pirated copies of machines using a VLK (Volume License Key) - all three flavors, XP, XP SP1 *and* XP SP2 (one of the keys to knowing was to look at the System Properties window - the data under the Registered Owner was the license info - the second 'set' of numbers, a 3 digit number, was in the range of 640-649 for VLKs, which M$ abolished from 641-649 with SP2, leaving only 'legitimate VLKs with 640 as the second set of 3 digit numbers.) In fact, there was a big stink in that anything that had 641-649 could not install SP2 because it (SP2) recognized the blacklisted keys and prompted that the OS install seemed to be a pirated one.
        They could be VLK XP upgrade, but full is not available. They also may have come from the select or enterprise channels, not sure if full xp is available there. I don't play there much

Or, is this a recent development because of the release of Vista?
        Not related to vista being released, however the same rule applies, no full OS (clients) via VL
        "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

We get full XP on Enterprise and my last place got it on Select.... as far as I know anyway

Tom
          For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Lior_S View Post
            Never was, not likely there ever will be.
            Actually there was a time not too long ago when you could get a VL of OSes. How do I know? I've bought them. But you can't get them anymore.

They could be VLK XP upgrade, but full is not available. They also may have come from the select or enterprise channels, not sure if full xp is available there. I don't play there much
            True on both counts. If you upgrade licenses (must already be VL I think) and/or be a large enterprise.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
              Actually there was a time not too long ago when you could get a VL of OSes. How do I know? I've bought them. But you can't get them anymore.
              was a special promo or something? you sure they where full version?

Comment

Yes, I'm positive. Not a special promo (bought them over the course of a couple years) and yes, the full version. In fact the license is still hosted on M$'s website. I can log in and view all my VLs.
                Regards,
                Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Cool.
                  For every rule they must be an exception.

Update:Found this link not sure if it applies...
                  Last edited by Lior_S; 20th November 2007, 05:11.

Comment

Working...
                  X