MS Updates Failure

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MS Updates Failure

Recently ,when I click on the little yellow shield in the System Tray to download and install MS Updates , I get the message , "update failed to install "

Can anyone help here , please ?

I have XP Pro with SP2

Re: MS Updates Failure

Hi - there are several possibilities but you did not give enough details to analyse this. It could be that your Windows is not genuine and in that case the updates will fail except for security updates. It could be that someone changed your configuration: go to My computer, right-click, go to Properties and click Updates. Look which of the three possibilities is checked. It could be turned off - in which case you need go no further. Do post back to tell if it is that or something else - Amos.

Comment

if your updates fail, then you will have the option of submiting a helpdesk ticket to m$.

if you take the time to submit the ticket, they will send you a reply that will tell you how and why the updates are failing...

here is the response i got just a few weeks ago from my front end exchange server that was failing during an update install.

THIS IS NOT THE FIX FOR YOUR SITUATION, i just wanted you to see what they will send you back. using this information can help you to troubleshoot the reason/fix for your update failures.

Dear James,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Windows Update Support. My name is Mike and I am glad to work with you. You can contact me directly by writing an email to [email protected] with the case ID SRX1047260067 in the subject line.

From the description, I understand that Windows Server 2003 SP2 failed to be installed. In addition, other two updates also cannot be installed. This server is an Exchange server. If I have misunderstood your concern, please do not hesitate to let me know. I understand the inconvenience this may have caused. Please be assured that we will work together to resolve this specific issue through the course of the case.

After reviewing the information you have provided us it appears this Windows Update issue is occurring in a Professional environment. When Windows Update issues occur in an environment that includes a domain or server product it is handled by our Professional Support team. This is essential due to the more intricate nature and sensitivity of Professional Computing environments. Please contact our Professional Support Team at the following toll free number:

(800) 936-4900 available from 6:00AM to 6:00PM daily

In addition, to help you save time, I also checked the Windows Update log which was uploaded automatically when submitting the case, I noticed that the error code 0x8007F0DA was received when trying to install Windows Server 2003 SP2.

This issue can occur if Cryptographic service is stopped. Let's try using these steps to resolve the issue:

1. Click Start, Run, type: %windir%\system32 and press Enter.
      2. In the opened folder, find a folder named CatRoot2 and rename it to CRold.
      3. Click Start, click Run, type services.msc and click OK.
      4. Double-click the Cryptographic Services if it is available.
      5. Stop this service.
      6. Click Start and Run, type "regsvr32 atl.dll" (without quotes) in the Open box and click OK.
      Note: There is a space between regsvr32 and atl.dll.

Similarly, one by one, register the files listed below:

REGSVR32 URLMON.DLL
      REGSVR32 SOFTPUB.DLL
      REGSVR32 WINTRUST.DLL
      REGSVR32 INITPKI.DLL
      REGSVR32 DSSENH.DLL
      REGSVR32 RSAENH.DLL
      REGSVR32 GPKCSP.DLL
      REGSVR32 SCCBASE.DLL
      REGSVR32 SLBCSP.DLL
      REGSVR32 MSSIP32.DLL
      REGSVR32 CRYPTDLG.DLL

7. After registering the above files, start the Cryptographic service and try accessing the Windows Update site and check whether the issue is resolved.

If the issue persists, I suggest we manually install this update in safe mode to test the issue.

Step 1: Download from the Windows Update website directly.
      =======================================
      1. Please download it from the following link and save it on the desktop.

Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 (32-bit x86)
      (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en)

Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the download link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the download link into your browser.

Step 2: Restart the computer in Safe Mode
      ================================

1. Reboot your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard.
      2. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, select Safe Mode, and then press Enter.
      3. Log onto Windows.
      4. Please double click the installation file to install it.
      5. Restart the computer.

NOTE: In Safe Mode, your system display and desktop will look and perform differently than in normal mode.

If the Windows Server 2003 SP2 still cannot be installed, please contact the Professional Support directly for more suggestion. If anything is unclear, please feel free to let me know. I am glad to be of assistance.

I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Best Regards,

Mike Qu
      as you can see, the fix entailed stopping the services in question, registering the dll's manually, and restarting the services... which allowed the updates to run normally.

good luck!
      its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
      Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Originally posted by amos16 View Post
        Hi - there are several possibilities but you did not give enough details to analyse this. It could be that your Windows is not genuine and in that case the updates will fail except for security updates. It could be that someone changed your configuration: go to My computer, right-click, go to Properties and click Updates. Look which of the three possibilities is checked. It could be turned off - in which case you need go no further. Do post back to tell if it is that or something else - Amos.
        Thanks to all for the prompt replies.

Yes that was what the problem was - the possibilities were turned off - the problem is now resolved .

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
        X