Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to prevent WXP from self asigning drive letters to storage devices on USB ports?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to prevent WXP from self asigning drive letters to storage devices on USB ports?

Hello,
    How can I have control of the drive letter self assigned by WXp to USB devices?
    Does the letter get installed on the media its self via FAT32 format?
    I tested a number of drives such as PCMCIA ATA disk via a USB card reader.

I can get the drive letter to maintain on the disk by using disk management in Admin but I would like to have the reader its self to maintain the letter.

How do the letters get assigned? The order they are located on the USB bus?

Thank You!

Re: How to prevent WXP from self asigning drive letters to storage devices on USB por

You cannot force the device to self-assign a letter. If you were intending to use this device on a network then you could push out the registry modification so that which ever pc you used it on it would maintain the same letter. The information to which it is assigned is held in the reigstry under

HKLM\SYSTEM\MountedDevices

If you click on each of the entries you should be able to see a trace of which device it is.

Hope this answers your questions.

Comment

Re: How to prevent WXP from self asigning drive letters to storage devices on USB por

I suppose, then, that creating said registry entry, exporting it, and then putting it on the removable device to be imported as a part of the Autorun sequence would work, then, right? At least, it would for machines with Autorun enabled....

Hmmm, now that I am thinking about it this seems like a kewl idea - for instance, I always assign my USB Flash device to (B because it is extremely rare for computers these days to use the B drive letter designation that was traditionally reserved for the second floppy drive, if so equipped.

Man, oh man, I am off to try this now - I am going to a friend of mine's house to work on her computer later on this after noon, so I'll let you know...

I also verified that the same key performs the same function in Vista, so at least for these two OSs this *should* work. Off to the races....
      Last edited by johnlgalt; 13th November 2007, 17:49.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X