Hangs on Repair Install

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hangs on Repair Install

I have been trying to do a "repair install" to try and salvage my Raid 1 array which recently disappeared.
    After the 39 minute install the computer reboots, goes through the POST and then hangs a few seconds into the Windows Logo.
    The screen turns teal blue (NOT BSOD) and the mouse pointer freezes in center screen.
    I repeated the sequence - same results.

Anyone know what's going on and how to fix it?

Win XP Pro
    ASUS P5GDC Deluxe, 2gB RAM, ITE8212 Raid, 2 Maxtor 160Gb PATA hdd.

Re: Hangs on Repair Install

Have you tried to boot into Safe Mode? Does it do the same?
    If Safe Mode also fails, I would boot into Recovery Console and edit the BOOT.INI to add a line with the /SOS switch and try to boot into it, to see what drivers are loaded and may fail.
    Take a look and post the results, please.

Links:
    - BOOT.INI switches
    - How to use Recovery Console
    - Install the Recovery Console

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Don't know about the Repair install, but on a normal install a log file is created in the root directory of the HDD (I assume the file is deleted if the install is successful as I have never seen it after I have finished). If there is a problem the file logs the install sequence and you can see where the problem is. Have only used it once when XP was released and I can't remember the file name but it is just a text file, possibly with a .LOG extension.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

You are right, BigB. 10nx
        The file you are referring to is created in %SYSTEMROOT% directory and its name is ntbootlog.txt.
        The file is created when, after pressing F8 during boot, one chooses the Enable Boot Logging option. The computer will boot until it will crash. The user should boot into Safe Mode again and check the above mentioned file (info taken from http://www.watchingthenet.com/how-to...n-windows.html ).

Related links:
        - http://www.watchingthenet.com/how-to...n-windows.html
        - http://www.smartcomputing.com/editor...2F56s01web.asp

Good luck, Algolog.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Thank you for your replys

I tried what you recomended but I cannot boot into SAFE mode.
          The boot process gets as far as a black screen with the words "SAFE MODE" in all 4 corners but it goes no further.

There seems to be some confusion regarding "repair install". I was trying to have XP repair the problem by booting from CD and selecting to repair the OS instead of installing a new one.

Any further suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Comment

Algolog, have you enabled the boot logging?
            If so, boot from a CD into the Recovery Console and check the above mentioned log file.
            And what do you mean by
            There seems to be some confusion regarding "repair install"
            Where's the confusion? No one talked here about installing a fresh XP ...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Hi Sorinso

I did enable boot logging and allowed it to crash
              but when I try to boot in SAFE mode to examine the file it will not complete the boot.

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                If so, boot from a CD into the Recovery Console and check the above mentioned log file.
                You can also try to use one of the many LiveCDs available. I often use BartPE, seldom Knoppix.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Terrific suggestion SORINSO

I was able to get the file ntbt.log using Bart PE.
                  It is 1.2 Mb - too big to attach.
                  What to do next?
                  Last edited by Algolog; 10th November 2007, 06:37.

Comment

Well, there's no need to post it here... Especially not all of it.
                    Please read the first article I suggested in post #4: http://www.watchingthenet.com/how-to...n-windows.html . At the end, you have some advice regarding how to check the log file and what to do with the results.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

I did read the article but I couldn't find a way to access device manager frem BART PE.
                      The log file indicates that it was not able to load my video card or my on board audio as well as some other devices.
                      Is there another way to disable these devices?

Comment

Hmmmmm...
                        There is no way to get to Device Manager other from Windows, because it's an internal application. You need to fix the devices/drivers inside the Windows installation...
                        One can run a computer without audio card, but not without video card.
                        Are they both on-board?
                        Are they something special (that need some special drivers)?
                        Can you get another VGA card and install it in your computer? Maybe with another card will be easier. If the VGA card is on-board, disable it in BIOS. And disable the audio card too. And don't buy one, try to get from a friend or something....
                        Tell me, please: what about a fresh install, instead a repair one?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Thank you for your help on all this
                          The audio is onboard but not the video. It is an MSI Radeon 600XT PCI express card.
                          I did disable the audio, USB and LAN in BIOS but the computer still crashed.

The MSI videocard does require drivers.

I don't know if this is significant but when I run BART PE I am able to select a screen resolution of 1024x768 - it appears good. Do I still needto test a separate VGA card?

I am realizing that I might have to do a complete install after all
                          but
                          the issue remains that this computer was configured RAID 1 but after all this trouble happened it does not recognize any array as active any more.
                          It does recognize the 2 drives as belonging to RAID.
                          When I boot into BART PE I have to supply the raid drivers disk to access the drives

SO my main question is:
                          Is there any way to recover the RAID array?
                          Then I could do a fresh install onto both drives as one without losing the programs and data.

Comment

In this situation, what I would do is salvage the data from the RAID and create the computer from scratch. BTW, the you will loose the programs ( you will need to install them again), but not the data.
                            Use the BartPE CD to access the data on your RAID. Use a File Manager or get GHOST inside (you have instructions on the site how to do it - and don't forget to get a license for it, since GHOST is not free).
                            Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Originally posted by Algolog View Post

I have been trying to do a "repair install" to try and salvage my Raid 1 array which recently disappeared.
                              After the 39 minute install the computer reboots, goes through the POST and then hangs a few seconds into the Windows Logo.
                              The screen turns teal blue (NOT BSOD) and the mouse pointer freezes in center screen.
                              I repeated the sequence - same results.

Anyone know what's going on and how to fix it?

Win XP Pro
                              ASUS P5GDC Deluxe, 2gB RAM, ITE8212 Raid, 2 Maxtor 160Gb PATA hdd.

XP Repair Pro 2007 URL REMOVED BY MOD
                              hel U 2 fix it)
                              Last edited by JeremyW; 23rd November 2007, 21:06. Reason: link to cracked software

Comment

Working...
                              X