No announcement yet.

Differnce between

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Differnce between

Dear All,
    what exatcly difference between Win Xp Prof. and Win2k Prof.

Re: Differnce between

Originally posted by kumbharamol View Post
    Dear All,
    what exatcly difference between Win Xp Prof. and Win2k Prof.

Hi kumbharamol,
    Can you please read the forum rules and use a meaningful title for your post. "Difference between" is not meaningful.

To answer your question, the main visible difference is the user interface, which has changed a lot between Windows 2000 and XP, in particular the start menu.

Apart from that, there are fewer internal differences (XP is Windows 5.1 while 2000 is Windows 5.0). There is support for more hardware and more gaming / multimedia support in XP (remember Win2K was a "business" OS with 98/ME as the equivalent "home OS").
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

The main difference for me would be permissions on objects; whether they be files, folders, registry keys, etc etc etc. The permissions in XP Pro are far, far more "granular". You can change far more in the GUI and by smaller amounts than you can with Windows 2000. Also of course there is the security; Windows XP (Pro AND Home) is more secure by far than Windows 2000, and it incorporates a built-in firewall.

For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Win2K Pro is coming up to 8 years old. XP Pro is just about old enough to start school.

XP has a different GUI to Win2K (unless you change it to Classic)
        XP has better wireless support.
        XP has 2 SPs, Win2K has 4.
        Try running XP on a P133 with 64MB RAM.

This really was a question unless you had specific questions you wanted to put to the panel of experts. Mmmm, would you look at what the first link says.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015