Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Change Windows XP x64 product key

Hi Guys,

I need to install Windows XP X64 on several computers, and instead of repeating the whole long installing process I wish to use ghost.
    The problem is, that after ghosting I can't modify the product key (to a legal OEM key).
    I tried the scripts Microsoft offers, the 'KeyFinder' application, and modifying the relevant registry values as described at this site, but nothing worked.
    I even called Microsoft support and they told me it's impossible to do that at XP X64, which I find hard to believe.

Can anyone help?

Thanks a lot,
    Eyal.

Re: Change Windows XP x64 product key

See if Symantec do an x64 version of Ghost. Buy it, and use the "GHOSTWALKER" application which comes with it.

OR

SYSPREP an installed version of XP and use a .SIF file to specify the product key as empty. Then ghost it and build the machine by restoring the GHOST and type in the product key when prompted.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Hmmmmm.
      I thought that OEM keys work only with the incorporated, factory-released OS. Using them on another version won't work. Am I wrong?
      What exactly is your scenario? Do you want to prepare an image (Ghost or not), to be ready for use every time you buy a new computer? Or you already have the computers, and you don't want to install everything on each of them?
      What about the other things that should not be the same on two computers: IP, name ?
      As it looks to me so far, you should opt for the Sysprep. But I will know better after you give us some more info (an option I keep in the sleeve is nLite).

Good luck. And keep us posted.

Related articles:
      - How to use the Sysprep tool to automate successful deployment of Windows XP
      - Setup and installation considerations for Windows x64 Edition-based computers

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Hi guys,

Here is the exact scenario:

We bought several new Dell computers - each with orignal XP X64 edition with OEM license.

Though this computers came with the OS already installed, there are two reasons why we would like to reinstall it using ghost:

1. The Dell installation is damaged (The OS sees only one CPU instead of two).
        2. Installing the my company's application is a long process.

I'll be glad to reply any further questions.

Eyal.

Comment

You didn't get additional keys for your OS, besides what is on the computers, did you? And you don't have VLK (Volume License Key - same key for a lot of computers), do you?
          I think that in this case, you should prepare one computer as "template", installed with all the software your users need, configured and updated to the top, and run Sysprep on it. Then use this image to duplicate all other computers.

Good luck. Keep us posted...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

I tried looking at the Sysprep, looks very good.
            Thanks a lot for the help, I'll keep you posted.

Comment

I am glad it helped.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
              X