Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Boot-Cleaning up Boot.ini

Hi,

I had gotten virus and I tried to reinstall Win XP Pro SP2. It did not complete.
    I manged to restore all my files from a backup but now when I boot I am asked which OS to boot, Win XP Pro or Win XP Pro Setup.

How do I delete the Win Xp Pro setup boot?
    How exactly should I edit the boot.inis below?

Copies of the 2 current boot.ini files from System, Startup Recovery, Advanced, Settings.

1) "Microsoft Windows XP Profressional Setup"

[Boot Loader]
    Timeout=5
    Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
    [Operating Systems]
    C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

2) "Microsoft Windows XP Professional/fastdetect/noexecute=optin
    [Boot Loader]
    Timeout=5
    [Operating Systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /noexecute=optin

Thanks in advance for the help.

Re: Dual Boot-Cleaning up Boot.ini

The BOOT.INI file that is being accessed is on the root of the boot drive; in your case I suspect the C: drive. You should remove the protection, edit it so that it says the following, save it, and replace the protection.

[boot loader]
    timeout=15
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

IGNORE the space in "WINDOWS" and "Microsoft" above; the forum does that to prevent unbroken lines from screwing up the layout.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

This is all relatively new to me so please bear with me.

Which boot.ini should I change and and is:

[boot loader]
      timeout=15
      [operating systems]
      multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn

the whole entry? That is exatly what the file should look like?

Thanks again.

Comment

You should modify the one in the root of the C: drive; so C:\BOOT.INI

In fact, the best way is to use the tools provided - here I'll show you.

Right-click "My Computer". Select "Properties".

Click the "Advanced" tab.

Select the "Startup and Recovery" "Settings" button.

Click "Edit"

Yes, the text I showed you is EXACTLY what it should look like.

Tom
        For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Comment

Thanks. It set the default to:

Microsoft Windows XP Professional/fastdetect/noexecute=optin

One last question. There still is another one listed in the advanced settings:

"Microsoft Windows XP Profressional Setup"

[Boot Loader]
          Timeout=5
          [Operating Systems]

Should I just delete that one?

I appreciate your help.

Comment

I'll say it again. Make your boot.ini look EXACTLY like the one in my post above. Nothing more, nothing less. Exactly the same.

Tom

Comment

I got impatient, I messed up, and ended up deleting the other boot.ini and now I only get the MS Win XP Pro Setup window asking me to insert WinXP Pro Setup disk and hit enter.

When I insert the disk and hit enter the CD drive starts up and then stops and then I am asked to insert the CD again and it gets stuck in this loop.

Currenetly I am at a library using their computer.

Can you help me with this?
              Thanks.

Comment

Sorry, no I can't.

Tom

Comment

personally i would say: re-format the machine and start from scratch.
                  Marcel
                  Technical Consultant
                  Netherlands
                  http://www.phetios.com
                  http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
                  "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
                  "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Thanks for your help Stonelaughter, I blew it.

Dumber, all I get now is the insert Win XP Pro Setup CD Screen. I do that it enter and the same screen comes up again, and again,and again....

Comment

Although you proved so far that you are not one of those who follow advices (so, I fully understand Tom), I am willing to give you my advice in this one:
                      As Dumber said, you should start from scratch. It will best, if you have another HD, to install it in the computer and disconnect the old one (don't take it out, just disconnect it).
                      Install OS and all the updates.
                      Install all software, the antivirus (and additional firewall, if you need any) first.
                      Shutdown the computer, reconnect the old HD (don't forget to jumper it properly, if needed) and move all your old data files to the new HD.
                      The process can be done on the old HD also, but I like always to start from really scratch.

Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                      In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                      -
                      «««««

Comment

I understand and respect Tom's position and I appreciate you helping out.
                        I'll go out and buy a new HDD and start over.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Novato48 View Post
                          I got impatient, I messed up, and ended up deleting the other boot.ini and now I only get the MS Win XP Pro Setup window asking me to insert WinXP Pro Setup disk and hit enter.

When I insert the disk and hit enter the CD drive starts up and then stops and then I am asked to insert the CD again and it gets stuck in this loop.

Currenetly I am at a library using their computer.

Can you help me with this?
                          Thanks.

maybe entering recovery console and using bootcfg command helps you to add a new boot entry but I think you formatted your computer am I wrong

Comment

Problem solved.

The blue screen “Windows XP Professional Setup insert CD and hit enter” loop that I kept getting is resolved.

The problem started when I impatiently deleted, from the System, Startup Recovery, Advanced, Edit settings, the file

1) "Microsoft Windows XP Professionals Setup"

[Boot Loader]
                            Timeout=5
                            [Operating Systems]

I down loaded to a floppy the files Ntldr, Ntdetect.com, from a computer running Win XP Pro SP2, and created the boot.ini file

[boot loader]
                            timeout=15
                            [operating systems]

I ran it from the floppy drive and problem solved

Thanks to all for your help.

Comment

Well done - I have noted your contrition over the earlier events and that you have solved it in an innovative way using the information I gave you. Here - have some rep points for your trouble.

Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X