Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP, system and data partitions, best practice

Hi all,
    Is it still the best practice to have seperate system and data partitions in XP?
    I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
    Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Re: XP, system and data partitions, best practice

I still do for my home PC / lab's but it's not always that easy in production. It's more down to your own personal preference, but I still like to do it. Just also make sure you take backups incase the HD goes

Michael
    Michael Armstrong
    www.m80arm.co.uk
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Comment

I'm with Michael - I ALWAYS do this for my home PC simply because it means that with minimal backup activity you can reinstall your entire system from scratch without losing ANY data. What I generally do is copy all the user profile folders onto the data partition and then any "Save Game" data from stupid games which use their Program Files folder for it. Then I wipe and start again and I'm usually up and running very quickly.

For work PC's it's less easy because you have to incorporate it into the Standard Build (and users should in theory be using the network to save their data anyway); so it all depends on the business requirements at your organisation.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
        For work PC's it's less easy because you have to incorporate it into the Standard Build (and users should in theory be using the network to save their data anyway); so it all depends on the business requirements at your organisation.
        As Stone stated in a "less is more" way, we do this for work PC's all the time just on a network share.

This is one of the cornerstones of mini / mainframe computing from days of yore and distributed network based computing today. That Dave Cutler (developer of VMS -- my favorite OS) allowed this "C:\Documents and Settings" bit (and, for that matter, only A: - Z: -- UNC's are not ubiquitous) when he built NT dumbfounds me to this day. That software developers embed personal data in their "C:\Program Files" directory annoys me even more.

Do yourself the favor and put everyone's "My Documents" on another drive. Can't think of one "good" reason why not to.

Von Neumann was wrong -- kind of

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Von_Neumann_architecture
        Last edited by rvalstar; 8th October 2007, 16:58.
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks.

It is the way I'd like to do it but it might not make the most sense.
          I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
          Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

I usually do it.
            But not always...
            Depends on how much data is going to be stored, and how much disks and amount of data are present.

Comment

Working...
            X