Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading a bad copy of XP pro to a valid copy.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading a bad copy of XP pro to a valid copy.

A few years ago, I purchased a version of Windows XP SP1 with a computer from a local computer store...

When Microsoft upgraded it with SP2 with live update, they told me that I didn't have a good Product ID#... ( The store has since gone out of business )

I finally purchased a new copy of windows XP Pro OEM with a new hard drive...

Of course the OEM copy won't let you upgrade the old copy...

I would like to just plug in the New Product codes without blowing up the old windows...

I downloaded a copy of Jelly Bean KeyFinder and see that it will let you plug in a new product key...

Question: If I do plug in the good key, will Microsoft now recognize my new key as valid and register it?

Or with the new key inserted, will it let me install the new oem copy over the old?

If I plug in the new key and reboot and it doesn't like it, what happens then?

I have read a couple of articles that address similar issues but not exactly because I already am using XP Pro SP2 due to live update, I just want to either plug in a new product key or be able to install with the new XP oem over the old copy...

Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Re: Upgrading a bad copy of XP pro to a valid copy.

To be honest I would be sorely tempted to take this opportunity to do that periodic clean-out that Microsoft Operating Systems are so fond of; wipe the OS and start again. Make sure you save your profile and your data (pictures, letters, etc) for use in the new installation.

Tom
    For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

I know that's always an option...

Just Hoping to get around that one if I could... Machine runs great and the wife has a ton of programs, downloaded and otherwise, on it...

I don't feel like spending a whole weekend working on it if I don't have to - You know... Looking for the quick fix...

Comment

Here's gonna be your problem. Those license keys M$ has disallowed were mostly volume license keys that bypassed the activation and were stolen / plastered on many a machine by all sorts of folks.

M$ has different compatibility rules to fix the key for a given product. In other words, you can apply a new volume license key to a volume licensed product but not an OEM or retail key. And so on...

Here are a few threads on the entire process:

http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=11816
        http://forums.petri.com/showthread.php?t=13409

and this article (note the site -- searching first always helps):

http://www.petri.co.il/change_the_se...windows_xp.htm

something from the source:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/328874

something on identifying product ids (site seems down as I write this):

http://wiki.djlizard.net/Product_IDs

and finally how activation works:

http://www.licenturion.com/xp/fully-licensed-wpa.txt
        Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

Thanks for the reply

I've actually read all of those articles before I posted but feel that they are barking up the wrong tree, most of which are copies of each other...

By checking the setupp.ini that I found in the i386 folder that resides on a partition of the hard drive with the other setup files. I was able to determine that I have one of those volume licenses...

Instead of changing the setupp.ini file to install windows which works but will not let you activate windows...

What can I do to windows, if anything, to make it think that it is an oem version and in fact the same oem version as the new cd...

If I can reinstall over an oem copy with the original oem disk, there has be a way to make the copy of windows on the hard drive look like it was installed from the new oem XP pro cd that I now have...

In other words, what does the cd look for to determine what type of key is currently on the computer remembering that both the the computer and the new disk are xp pro sp2... One is a volume license and the other an oem copy...

If the new cd setup determines what kind of license is on the computer by the product key then replacing the key with the one on the oem package should let me install my current windows over the old one...

Would replacing the product key cause a domino effect with other parts of windows?

Part of Murphy's law says nothing is as easy as it seems...

I know that I'm probably missing a few pieces of this puzzle...

Comment

I hear you that this shouldn't be that difficult to take one of these non-genuine VLK based installs and apply an officially licensed Retail / OEM Product ID then activate it w/ the official key.

I Googled this:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...+vlk+to+retail

And found this through another forum:

http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/sel...tructions.aspx

Looks like your best bet. I'd Ghost (or equivalent) your system drive first.

Best of luck.
            Cheers,

Rick

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

2006-2099 R Valstar. This post is offered "as is" for discussion purposes only with no express or implied warranty of any kind including, but not limited to, correctness or fitness for use. Nothing herein shall be construed as advice. Attempting any activity based on information in this post is done at your own risk.

Comment

rvalstar,

That's great when you know what to search...
              I'll make an image of the drive and then give it a go...

This is more along on the lines that I was thinking...
              Looks like this utility may help since it looks for other files that might be affected...

Sounds like Microsoft is giving me a channel to help since I'm trying to make things right with them...

I will definately let you know the results of this one...

Oh Ya, Did I forget to say Thanks!...

Thanks!

CatChYaLater
              JBGood
              Last edited by jbgood; 4th October 2007, 09:57.

Comment

New there had to be a better way...

After making a backup...

Here is the solution step by step, and it works...

I booted into windows
                I put the windows cd in and clicked on "install"

The next window was a setup new installation...

I chose "next"

Accept the license agreement

Choose "Next"

Enter the new product key

Choose "Next"

Next you will see "Get updated setup files" from the internet

I chose "Yes, ..."

Windows will look on it's website for updated setup files, download them and then reboot your computer...

boot to hard drive and continue setup...

your setup will continue...

Press "enter" to start new installation...

Windows will look for your current windows installation and in the next window you will see something like "c:\windows "Microsoft Windows XP Professional"

Note: if you have more than one partition on your hard drive you will have to click on the windows installation you want to upgrade...

Next press "R" to repair windows...

You will see a bunch of files being deleted...(don't panic)

Next you will see a bunch of files being copied to your hard drive... This will take a few minutes... (good time for a cup of coffee)

The next time windows pauses you will be at a "Windows XP upgrade" window...

on the left you will see 5 radio buttons... Note the second button says "Dynamic Upgrade" ... (You’ve Made it)

Here you can choose to change your language of choice etc...

Click "Next"...

and walk away...

There will be an automatic reboot or two before it stops at the "Activation window"

Click "Next" to activate windows online... (I did)

Next window choose to register with Microsoft or not... (I didn't)

Click "Next"...

When Windows XP Pro Started, all of my programs, settings and files worked perfectly... (So Far)

Note: I installed a copy of Windows XP SP1 VLK on a 10 Gb drive and installed a bunch of programs and a bunch of pictures in my "My Documents" folder, and saved a bunch of Favorites from my browser...

I was able to upgrade to a new copy of XP SP2 OEM in the method described above...

Funny thing (using the same method) I was also able to go back the other way and install the old Windows XP SP1 VLK back over the New XP SP2 OEM...

And then Back again...
                I've done this several time to make sure...

This one really works Guys...

CatChYaLeter
                Jbgood

Comment

I would have liked to have seen your product ID before (as well as, now, after). You usually don't get the option to do a repair install going from VLK to OEM / Retail if I recall correctly.

There is much regarding repair installs in this forum and I'm so glad it worked out for you. what happened w/ the MS official tool?

In Italy:
                  Cheers,

Rick

Comment

Just left the MS official tool sit while I tried this other first...

The installation disk that I tested with was with an OEM XP SP2 disk that I purchased a while ago (last year, I think)...

I just did another upgrade with a copy that I just got a week ago and it acted a little differently but mainly I got the same results... at one point it asked me to incert my "video driver" disk. So if you have new hardware, make sure that you have the driver disk handy just in case.

Don't boot from the XP CD because the repair option isn't available... In other words "you can't get there from here!"...

These are the only three things you really have to remember...
                    1. Boot into windows before you start the install process from the CD
                    2. Don't choose the "Go to the repair console" option that you will see... Choose the New installation option and continue...
                    3. When you get the window that shows your current windows installation, this is when you get the "R" to repair windows option that you need to choose.

From there you are home free...

You don't get the repair option until after you have entered the new Prod ID and the system reboots and looks for your existing copy of windows. Then... There it is "press Enter to continue" and the second option is "Press R to repair" (This is the one you need)... and of course the third option is "press escape to exit"

To me it looks like after you hit "R" to repair you are put into upgrade mode...

In the couple of days since I first posted, I've tried this upgrade and (downgrade) 4 times... Each with the same results...Success

At one point I activated the new windows over the internet to see if it was going to go through the whole process... Because I did this, when I finally did the real upgrade, I had to call into Microsoft to activate windows because I had gotten a message that said I had exceeded the license. Quite frankly, that was no big deal it took less than 10 minutes...

CatChYaLater
                    Jbgood

Comment

Working...
                    X