Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to start XP

Hi all

I have a compaq nc6320 with xp professional as the os. Last week a power cut occured when I had the laptop plugged in . now when satrting the laptop I recieve the error message windows did not start properly, this may due to new hardware being installed. The options for start up come up such as last known good and safe mode. No matter what one I choose the operating system restarts and we go through the same situation over and over again. Is this a software or a hardware problem? would a reimage solve this? any help appreciated.

Cheers
    swagman

Re: Unable to start XP

When was the last time you built a recovery image? If you recover from that image, how much will you loose?
    But I would start by doing a Repair install. Did you get an installation disk with the laptop? Boot from it and try to do a Repair.

Take a look at these:
    - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315341
    - http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...ps/doug92.mspx

Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -
    «««««

Comment

Originally posted by kevswag View Post
      Hi all

I have a compaq nc6320 with xp professional as the os. Last week a power cut occured when I had the laptop plugged in . now when satrting the laptop I recieve the error message windows did not start properly, this may due to new hardware being installed. The options for start up come up such as last known good and safe mode. No matter what one I choose the operating system restarts and we go through the same situation over and over again. Is this a software or a hardware problem? would a reimage solve this? any help appreciated.

Cheers
      swagman
      Just restore your system to an earlier point and if it doesn't work then repair your windows.

Comment

Originally posted by darrenwilliams View Post
        Just restore your system to an earlier point
        That would be fine if he could start up first!
        Repair or reinstall is the only option here
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

The issue sounds like a corrupt registry.
          This can be repaired by beginning with Recovery Console to "harvest" working images of the registry hives. Then with the computer now able to use these hives to start in Safe Mode, you then use System Restore to upgrade the registry hive images:

How to Recover From a Corrupt Registry That Prevents XP From Starting
          http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q307545

Windows XP Crashed? Here's Help
          http://www.digitalwebcast.com/2002/0..._boot_toot.htm
          * Users Helping Users *
          MS-MVP Windows Networking

Comment

I had this problem before with a desktop with xp installed , the solution for that was to reset the motherboard , by taking the battery of and putting it back on.

Comment

To me it sounds like the dirty flag, a chkdsk in the recovery console should clear that up.
              And your laptop needs a new battery
              "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

Comment

Working...
              X