User limitation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• User limitation

How can I limit a user (non domain inviroment) from installing programs, icons, pictures from the internet (or from CD or floppy) to the computer
    I am runing Xp Pro ,SP2
    Thanks
    max

Re: User limitation

Break their arms???

You have provided your own answer. Make their account a User Account and NOT an Administrator Account. Make sure any Administrator account has a password that is NOT known to the User so they can't change their account to an Administrator one.
    Last edited by biggles77; 25th September 2007, 13:35. Reason: Grrrrrrrr, spelling, again. :(
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Following biggles77, I could give you an extra suggestion: if you're not using the user that is created during the installation, please enter as Administrator and change its password too. I've seen computers well protected in normal mode but that in safe mode they're as if there were no passwords at all since the Administrator user appears in Welcome screen with blank password.

Comment

Originally posted by maxim42 View Post
        How can I limit a user (non domain inviroment) from installing programs, icons, pictures from the internet (or from CD or floppy) to the computer
        You can greatly reduce what a user can do but it won't be full proof. For instance, it is very had to prevent a user from saving pictures on the computer.

Programs present another problem. While most require administrative privileges to install, there are quite a few that don't.

But, some things to do:

Make the user a Restricted user or just a member of the Users group, depending on what applet you use to modify users.

Start > Run > gpedit.msc (NOTICE: this will affect ALL users)
        This brings up the local computer policy. From it you can lock down many features and configurations in Windows. Spend some time going through it seeing what it can do.

On thing to look at would be Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security Settings\Software Restriction Policies Using this can enable you to only allow certain programs to be run. But read up thoroughly (and ask questions if need be) before configuring this as you can render you computer useless.

And here's a way to diable the use of USB drives http://www.petri.com/disable_usb_disks_with_gpo.htm
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

also you can use secpol.msc software restriction policies
          it can be applied other users not admins
          picture is very difficult to block maybe disable internet explorer to show pictures but there are many browsers

Comment

Working...
          X