X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registry Cleaner / Cleaning software

Hi Guys,

My CTO asks me to try and find why his laptop became slow lately,
    it is IBM X40, 1 GB RAM, Win XP SP2, running spybot, addware regular every few days. SAV 9.04 Installed.

1) any idea?
    2) what could be a good registry cleaner / any util to speed up his PC even if i need to purchase license for the company for that purpose and for other users?
    Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA
    Computer Science Graduate

Re: Registry Cleaner / Cleaning software

As a Sophos reseller, with many SAV installs out there, we have occasionally had to remove Sophos antivirus because it can hit the pc's performance badly. This only happens on a few computers (and we still think SAV is one of the best products out there).

To completely remove SAV you need to do add/remove programs then reboot and then additionally run a batch file which you are welcome to download from my files site here. I got it in August '07 so it's fairly recent. When that's done, reboot and do a fresh SAV install with the latest download.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

Also check to see that SAV isn't scanning network accesses. This can appear to slow it down real bad, especially during server side database queries.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Sorry, couldn't resist......
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Hello,
          You may wish to have a look at CCleaner. It is freeware.

You may also want to have a look in the event logs and try see if anything happened (was installed) around the time he noticed it getting slower.
          I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
          Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Thanks,
            CC Cleaner did not help at all
            Just guess need to tell the user to reinstall XP
            I never have problems like my users
            Thanks & Regards

Retaliator

MCSA/MCSE/CCNA
            Computer Science Graduate

Comment

Hi, Retaliator.
              A computer running slow can be caused by a thousand of reasons. And when your CTO says "running", does he mean "always"? Or is it just a slow/long boot?
              Computer running slow can be:
              - not enough RAM. Your user's laptop has 1GB, but is it used properly?
              - a lot of junkies in the memory, what once we referred to as TSRs;
              - not enough available disk space for the SWAP file;
              - not big enough SWAP file;
              - a disk fragmentation problem;
              - Registry problems of any kind (except too big, since the size limitation was removed in XP and 2003);
              - a "nutty" application (including AV software) that causes havoc on the laptop;
              - a mallare of any kind.

I am sure that anyone else (including yourself) can find hundreds of other possible causes. In my opinion, the obvious reasons should be checked one by one and ruled out. If, at the end of the process, the problem still remains, then reinstall XP. But this should be left as the last resort, when nothing else helped.
              I would start by doing some test on the laptop, first hardware related (CPU load, memory load, disk free space), then OS related (SWAP file and so on ) and then application related.
              Tools I would use (additional tools, not those already implemented in XP):
              - NTRegOpt
              - Process Monitor
              - AutoRuns (if you'll find some fishy process that shouldn't be there...)

Good luck, dude. Keep us posted.

Disclaimer: Never touch the Registry, unless you took all the precautions to recover from a possible crash. See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756 .

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
              -

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
                Sorry, couldn't resist......

There's noone like Dilbert !!

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                -

Comment

Working...
                X