Removing XP OS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Removing XP OS

I recently lost my desktop w/XP and replaced it w/a new system running Vista. I was so disapointed with Vista I bought a used tower whose OS had been removed. On it I loaded a OEM copy of XP from my original computer which loaded find. The hardrive was 20G. I could not, however actvate XP and it expired in 30 days. I then bought a new XP Pro and did not know how to remove the old XP so I loaded it over the original (I think). It works fine but I now have only 10G on the HD. Suspecting I have 2 OS and a partitioning problem I now thought I should remove the latest and start all over again. Loading the XP Pro CD does not appear to give me an option to remove the OS. Can anyone give me a little help? Thxs!

Re: Removing XP OS

OEM copies of XP are not supposed to be installed on different hardware than they were originally supplied with -- it is in breach of your license agreement.

Since you had (presumably) already activated it on the original hardware, that is why it failed activation the second time around.

Since you bought a new copy of windows -- why not go with a fresh install?
    Boot from the XP Pro CD
    Select Fresh Installation
    Delete existing partitions

Result: Clean setup with no issues
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
      OEM copies of XP are not supposed to be installed on different hardware than they were originally supplied with -- it is in breach of your license agreement.
      I always thought you were allowed to recycle the OEM licences as long as the original machine was destroyed.

OP follows Tom's advice and you'll be fine.

Comment

but it sort of relates. OEM license used to be only available with a system. That appears to have now changed. The following link is an interesting read for OEM licenses. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=885079
        1 1 was a racehorse.
        2 2 was 1 2.
        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
        X