Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• uninstall programs remotly on xp

hi,
    is there a way to remote uninstall programs from an xp machine?
    i have several computers with different toolbar and other crappy progies installed on them which i want to remove. i don't want to visit each station...
    any ideas?

Re: uninstall programs remotly on xp

In my opinion, best way is to connect to them by RDP...

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -
    «««««

Comment

Some software has an /uninstall switch on the command line, so that you can run it in a script and push that script out to your workstations. But for those pesky apps that can't be uninstalled by command line, Sorin's idea is still the best.
      Best wishes,
      PaulH.
      MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

I use UltraVNC. It is quite well integrated with active directory and it is opensource.
        It has TONS of options, and is very easy to set up.
        It has some problems with Vista, but the latest Betas seem to work just fine.

Comment

is there a way to open add/remove via console?

Comment

Originally posted by RubberDuck View Post
            is there a way to open add/remove via console?
            RunDLL32 shell32.dll,Control_RunDLL c:\windows\system32\appwiz.cpl.

providing of course that c:\windows is the location that Windows XP is installed to.

Comment

Originally posted by oztrailrider View Post

providing of course that c:\windows is the location that Windows XP is installed to.
              I think he meant a way to manage exactly that but remotely, as a MMC or similar.
              I don't know any way to do that, except via VNC or similar app.

Comment

Originally posted by oztrailrider View Post

what kind of user rights would i need to open this on the remote computer? (i'm using "psexec")

Comment

Originally posted by leoh View Post
                  I think he meant a way to manage exactly that but remotely, as a MMC or similar.
                  I don't know any way to do that, except via VNC or similar app.
                  indeed that's what i meant. trying to run it via psexec, any idea's?

Comment

Like it's been already stated, you can either use something like RDC or run the uninstall file using psexec.

The drawback with the command line is that you need to know what's installed on the computer and where the uninstall executable is located (and if there's any switches you need to use) and if it can be uninstalled via the command prompt.
                    Regards,
                    Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                    Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                    www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Originally posted by JeremyW View Post
                      The drawback with the command line is that you need to know what's installed on the computer and where the uninstall executable is located (and if there's any switches you need to use) and if it can be uninstalled via the command prompt.
                      In the registrykey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\
                      you can find a subkey for each installed program listed in 'ADD/Remove Software'.

For each program there you can find its "UninstallString"

Use this script to enum the installed programs on a remote computer: List Installed Programs
                      Modify the script so it filter on żour programs name. If it is found, use the value of "UninstallString" to schedule a runonce job.

Unfortunately probably most uninstallers will requires user interaction.

\Rems

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                      and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Originally posted by Rems View Post
                        In the registrykey HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Uninstall\
                        you can find a subkey for each installed program listed in 'ADD/Remove Software'.
                        Actually, almost... Not all programs are written properly, or give the user a way to uninstall them. In fact, Google Toolbar itself does not write a subkey with its own name, but a {...} string with an ID that's hard to understand...
                        I checked on a virtual machine, the script you gave, Rems, does recognize it.
                        I can only hope that at least one of the methods described here will solve the issue. Not that the methods are wrong (they are the EXACT way to do so), but the programs the OP mentioned are (how can I put it) "awkward".

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                        In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                        -
                        «««««

Comment

The Google tool bar it self is actually very easy to delete silently on remote computers.

Use a script that Enumerates all subkeys in the ..\Uninstall key
                          For each subkey, compare the value of "Displayname" to the program you are searching. If it matches it read the value of "UninstallString" in that key.
                          The same script can schedule the uninstall job(s) on the remote computer using this uninstallstring (incase the value of the "UninstallString" starts with MsiExec.exe /I replace /I with /X and add /Quiet to the end of the string).

-=Or=-
                          Manual Method. (best option)
                          Start, on one of the computers, Regedit and search in the ...\UnInstall key for "Google". Then copy the Unsinstallstring (replace /I with /X and add /Quiet when MsiExec.exe is used).

I found these:

Code:
                          regsvr32 /u /s "c:\program files\google\googletoolbar1.dll"
                          Code:
                          MsiExec.exe /X{DBEA1034-5882-4A88-8033-81C4EF0CFA29} /Quiet
                          Code:
                          "C:\Program Files\Google\Google Updater\GoogleUpdater.exe" -uninstall
                          * 1 and 2 seem to have the same results, and both run silent. But 2 also runs hiddenly. Use only one of the two
                          * The uninstall of the updater (command-line 3) ask the user for a confirmation!! And it is possible the path (used in 1 and in 3) doen't have to be always the same on different computers

Then use PsExec.exe in a batch against all the target computers ( from a list of computernames).
                          (it is recommended to check each computer If the computer is online and whether this toolbar is installled, before trying to delete it).

\Rems

EDIT
                          An example of a script that Enumerates all subkeys and searches for a certain displayname in it
                          http://forums.petri.com/showthread.p...3945#post83945
                          Last edited by Rems; 8th November 2007, 13:58.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
                          and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

Comment

Working...
                          X