XP browsing slow, not 98. No server

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP browsing slow, not 98. No server

I have a Dr. Office customer that is not running a server, but using a xp machine and sharing files.
    Here are the essentials. Using a DSL router running DHCP, and have about 15 computers. I upgraded the 98 machine (which brosed in about 3 seconds) to XP machines. The xp machine take about 15-20 seconds to browse the shared folder. The network itself is pretty quick.
    I turned of automatic drive mapping on a few and it didn't change a thing.

What are the basic browing problems to look at and why is XP slower then 98?
    I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
    Chris Robertson
    The Computer Doctor

Re: XP browsing slow, not 98. No server

Do you have a DNS server?
    Marcel
    Technical Consultant
    Netherlands
    http://www.phetios.com
    http://blog.nessus.nl

MCITP(EA, SA), MCSA/E 2003:Security, CCNA, SNAF, DCUCI, CCSA/E/E+ (R60), VCP4/5, NCDA, NCIE - SAN, NCIE - BR, EMCPE
    "No matter how secure, there is always the human factor."

"Enjoy life today, tomorrow may never come."
    "If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill"

Comment

Moved to XP forum.
      Regards,
      Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
      Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
      www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

I am amazed this is working with 15 users browsing an XP box -- there is a hard-coded limitation of 10 concurrent connections to an XP machine so you should expect a lot of "cannot connect" messages each day

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Kind of obvious question... you upgraded from Win98 to WinXP.
          Did you change the whole computer for a new one, or just upgraded the O/S?

Comment

Originally posted by Ossian View Post
            I am amazed this is working with 15 users browsing an XP box -- there is a hard-coded limitation of 10 concurrent connections to an XP machine so you should expect a lot of "cannot connect" messages each day

Tom
            I actually thought it was 7 for some reason but yes this will be a problem. (10 is also the correct number) It is Microsofts way of saying you need to use their server software from what I can tell.

As for your problem. Have you looked at the network protocols installed and in use? Something you may wish to consider is NetBEUI isn't supported in XP. XP uses Netbios over TCP which I'd expect adds some over head.

The NetBEUI article contains a link to how to install it if you wish to try see if it helps.
            I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
            Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

This is all down to DNS issues.

Win 98 didn't rely as heavily on DNS as XP does hence the browsing issues.

Your problem is that the external world doesn't know about your internal systems and the DHCP server on the router will be dishing out it's own DNS server as your DNS server.

As a work around you could edit your HOSTS file with an entry that points to the ip address of the machine you are connecting to.

With the amount of machines you have i would advise moving to SBS server.

Comment

This is not a DNS issue. DNS registration only becomes important in a Domain. There are large networks that are perfectly happy with Netbios over TCP/IP for name resolution. Similarly, DNS is not used for name resoloution in Workgroups. If you wanted to make it easier to Ping someone on your network, you could make a HOSTS file entry. However, the HOSTS file is not used for NT name resolution. It would do nothing for share browsing. See:
                The difference Between LMHOSTS and HOSTS Files in Windows NT
                http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=105997

The HOSTS file does not play a role in LAN name resolution.

There is no indication of a naming failure for share location. The issue is that share browsing is slow. This is an XP issue related to its search for Scheduled Tasks (and print jobs) and is easily remedied:

1. Open up regedit.

2. Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/Current Version/Explorer/RemoteComputer/NameSpace

3. Find a key named {D6277990-4C6A-11CF-8D87-00AA0060F5BF}

4. Right click on it and delete it.

5. Restart
                Last edited by bcastner; 1st October 2007, 14:26.
                * Users Helping Users *
                MS-MVP Windows Networking

Comment

Funny as the name resolution is the same as i thought it was.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/172218

I'm not saying your wrong just that its not how i expected the system to search.

Maybe i need to hit the books again.

Comment

i have to agree with wullieb1 and consider upgrading to SBS or simple Linux server with samba to accomplish file sharing.

i suggest Linux in the event that the Doc doesnt want to shell out for SBS... and the fact it will run very well on a small workstation type computer without an upgrade to an entry level server.

Linux is actually very easy to work with for small setups like what you have described. it is also very efficient with minimal resoures and there is not a limit to concurrent sessions... i will dish out whatever it can, and is only limited by its hardware.

and its free. if you do want to pay for the support (which i recommend) its about the same as a license for Windows 2003 standard ed, but it isnt required to use it.
                    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
                    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Sorry for the late reply. I'll answer the question.
                      I've had some networks with 25-30 shared xp machines with no server. It just simultaneous browsing of 1 computer that isn't supported.

Some of the computers are brand spanking new. A few are xp home (bad thing)

The DNS server is provided by the cable modem box. I added a router in the mix and had it provide DNS service and nothing changed.

Additional information;
                      Even after I browse the mapped network and click off on c drive then back to the mapped network, it takes about 15-20 seconds to refresh.

I removed all the connections from the "My network Places" (refesh issue)
                      I have netbeui on default - I've tried both ways.
                      Also enabled LMHOSTS - still slow

I'll try deleting the key and see if that helps
                      I would go to a server if possible. I recomend it, but it wont happen
                      I already know I'm not that bright. Please be constructive. Only give your 2cents if it helps. Don't be condesending or demeaning. It doesn't make you look smart. You just look like an arse.
                      Chris Robertson
                      The Computer Doctor

Comment

The DNS provided by the router is probably only forwarding DNS request to the outside (that is, between your computers and the internet). But it won't solve internal IPs.

You are talking about 30 computers without a server... that's probably a bad idea.

Comment

To repeat..
                          I've got other systems with 30 computers and no problems what-so-ever.. Good idea. This system has only 15 computers.

Even WHEN I use a seperate router/DNS box, and only run 2 computers, bowsing is still slow.

Therefore I have eliminated DNS box problem.
                          Chris Robertson
                          The Computer Doctor

Comment

Reported ...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                            -

Comment

Thanks Sorin.

For other thread participants, spam was posted and has been removed.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X