No announcement yet.

Username and Password boxes greyed out

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Username and Password boxes greyed out

First time Ive come across this, we have a XP box where the username and password box are both greyed out and therefore unselectable. The domain box remains selectable though. Reboot didnt fix it, however after I went to safe mode it worked normally for a few days until today when the issue has returned.

Anyone seen this behaviour before?

Re: Username and Password boxes greyed out

Although I have never seen this behaviour before, here are a few things I would start looking:

Compare the Items in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon with an other computer. To see if the key possibly might be corrupted (or check for these items: whether the AutoAdminLogon=0, and the items 'ForceAutoLogon' and 'DefaultPassword' should not exist).
    The greyed out of the logon boxes do sometimes occour if the password for the AutoLogon account is changed, so there might be something wrong in that key.

Next is to check if the build-in 'System' has Full control over this key, subkeys and all items in them.

The third thing is, if you use VNC on the network? be sure that only the latest version is installed.

Last, check the eventviewer for logon/off events

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

** Remember to give credit where credit's due **
    and leave Reputation Points for meaningful posts

I've seen this on my network.
      It doesn't happen anymore.
      We were using Windows XP Pro SP2, in spanish, and were installing in that time all of the updates with WSUS.
      Our server was a Windows 2000 Server, in spanish.

I remember it happened sometimes when we used VNC (actually, UltraVNC).

Don't know how or why, but the problem disappeared.

Thanks for the advice, since I posted this I havent seen the issue reoccur. We dont use VNC here, but updates are applied using WSUS. If it does appear again Ill try the steps mentioned