xp pro on vista laptop

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• xp pro on vista laptop

can anyone tell me if xp pro can deinstalled on a vista home laptop

Re: xp pro on vista laptop

That is not a properly formed question. XP pro cannot be installed (or deinstalled ) on vista. Its one or the other but not never both, generally, on the same machine.
    How about some more info.
    "...if I turn out to be particularly clear, you've probably misunderstood what I've said” - Alan Greenspan

I think he is asking whether Windows XP can be installed on a laptop that is currently running Vista.
      I did stumble upon a few topics over the net that people had problems with their laptops when they removed Vista and installed XP, and even some rumours about BIOS (Phoenix I think) that supports only Vista OS, but those were rejected by a Phoenix's manager. In the end I'm not sure whether there is any truth in all that... there are a lot of people who successfully downgraded their OS, but as I've said, some did have problems; though possibly because of driver issues or something like that.
      Hm... though here it does say
      This BIOS is ONLY for use with Windows Vista. Please do not install this BIOS for use with Windows XP, or other Windows versions.
      Maybe somebody could give a more detailed explanation?
      Last edited by Miroslav Jeftic; 4th September 2007, 09:35.

Maybe this article will shed some light on the subject.

He needs to give more info,

Baisclly i know many friends which bought thier laptop with VISTA installed from the company, and formatted and installed XP with no problem,
          i did that my self on a TOSHIBA Laptop, only some drivers WERE NOT MADE for windows xp, not even on the web page for that model of laptop, but i found something similiar and it's OK.
          Thanks & Regards

Computer Science Graduate

you can install xp even if you installed vista on your pc but not using directly clicking setup.exe in xp cd you need to start from cd(BIOS boot device must be CDROM) and you need a free partition

after xp installation vista will not be opened now but if you know bcdedit you can add
            two system into boot menu

bcdedit is difficult to use instead of it use EasyBCD 1.7 to add xp to boot menu

first use
            BOOTSECT.EXE tool(vista dvd boot folder or easybcd folder) to write bootmgr compatible boot menu

bootsect /nt60 C:

C: is boot drive contains ntldr bootmgr boot.ini file they are hidden and system change it if is necessary

now only vista will open default use EasyBCD 1.7 add xp to menu

a tip
            bootsect /nt52 C:
            changes older ntldr compatible boot vista dose not start

In theory it should be possible... a notebook is a computer in a smaller package, and should execute anything as long as they are x86 instructions (which Windows XP is).

yes windows xp x86 can run any x86 application
                I want to tell how xp is removed from double OS Vista and XP are installed laptop

let us say C: is boot volume

if you want to remove xp you must first use easybcd and set default OS to vista
                then remove xp entry from list and you can delete xp document and settings,xp windows,xp program files folder dont delete any files in C: root files bootmgr grldr boot folder they are vista files

I don't fully understand the scenario...
                  You have in a computer installed both Vista and XP, right?
                  And you want to uninstall XP and keep just Vista?
                  How many partitions do you have?
                  What boot loader are you using?
                  We need more info.