No announcement yet.

Dealing with bad sectores

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealing with bad sectores

My disc developed a great deal of bad sectores.
    I tried eliminating them with chkdsk and with norton utilities but with no results.
    Is there a more powerfull tool? or is my disc doomed? (os win 9

Backup data IMMEDIATELY and replace HDD. Is the drive still under warranty?
    Departed: 23rd December 2015

The data is safe.
      The hdd passed its warranty.
      I would like to try other recommended tool in just in order to experiment

That the drive is stuffed, totally!! Sorry.
        Departed: 23rd December 2015

Try using HDD Generator... It works... repair your hard drive with messing with you files.

biggles77 is right, I'd replace the drive. Once a drive starts losing sectors its likely that its one foot in the grave.

If you are bent on trying to fix it, try checking the manufacturer's website for a utility. They tend to work better than Norton System Works etc.

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Andrew and Biggles are totally correct.

I have had more than a few drives start to get bad Sectors.

I have been through the phase opf expreimentation on dodgey drives, and truly it's not worth it.

I have a box of hard drives at home (totaling about 2.1 Terrabytes of drive space) that I wouldn't recommend putting anything vital onto any of them.

The drive tools I recommend are Norton, and anything that the drive manufacturer can supply.

The drives I have range from Seagate, Maxtor, Western Digital, IBM, etc.

Once a drive starts to form bad sectors, it's time to take the basic step of a COMPLETE BACKUP, dont backup singular files, do a COMPLETE backup.

Once your backup is finished, then replace the drive (assuming it's a boot drive) with a new, warranted drive, and then you can play as much as you like with the previous drive.

Having said that, I have been "playing" for about 10 years on drives developing bad sectors, and I have a drive at home that developed 3 bad sectors, it then crashed, and wiped ALL of my critical data, I have since used manufacturer specific software to fix these sectors, but others have become dead, and the fight is never ending.

this may or may not work for your case and it is a last case scenario.
                I nifty little thing i found out is that if a drive dies pop it into a freezer zip lock baggy, take most of the air out and let it freeze for a few hours. I am not 100% sure why this works, but i do have a good idea.
                Come chill at my site