external usb drive leter

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• external usb drive leter

When I insert a USB external drive in my win XP workstation, I can't use it inmediatly because it didn't receive a drive letter automatically. I can give it a letter from Disk Manager but this is not a good solution for inexpert users.
    The cause of the problem is that my workstation login in a Novell server and the letter F is reserved for a network drive .
    I'm looking for a solution. Tnx

The reason is not because drive F is taken, the USB disk will get any available drive letter you have. The problem is that YOU gave the USB the drive letter F, and because it was taken it didn't get a different one. Try giving it a different letter, H for example, and you'll see that is will try to use it as a drive letter.
    Cheers,

Daniel Petri
    Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
    MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

I did it!
      We use that computers with digital cammeras and I define a letter for each cammera's model .
      Windows XP don't search for the first available letter, and I don't know why.
      I gave the letter to the usb device as administrator, I worked fine, but after reboot windows forget it. This is my problem.

Comment

Working...
      X