Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing W2K from bootable USB Flash

Hi All

I have a Dell GX260 (shoe box) PC supplied to us some time ago I have had to replace the HDD and I need to install Windows 2K it has no CD Rom or Floppy drive. It does however allow booting from a UBS Flash drive. I have managed to create a bootable flash drive but I can't get windows 2K to install from it. I'm proberbly missing something really obvious. I have tried nLite image (so called bootable iso) that does not work. BartPE wont accept 2K only XP/Vista. I've also tried nLite using CDImage again it failed.

Any suggestions
    The Univurse is still winning!

W2K AD, WSUS, RIS 2003. ISA also AVG Server
    ** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Re: Installing W2K from bootable USB Flash

Why not create a bootable floppy on your flash drive then copy the i386 folder from the CD to your flash key.

Boot your machine using the flash disk till you get to a DOS screen the cd to the i386 folder and run winnt.exe with whatever switches you need.

Comment

Thanks wullieb1

See I told you it was something simple. Its been that long since I did an install like that from dos it just didn't register in my aging brain

** If contributors help you, recognise them and give reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by AndyUK View Post
        Thanks wullieb1

See I told you it was something simple. Its been that long since I did an install like that from dos it just didn't register in my aging brain
        I had to do this many time and thats why i rememebr it.

Good Luck

Comment

Waaaaah!

I tried it but I just get "Missing Operating System"

Heres what I'm doing. I unplug all drives apart from the floppy, this allows me to make the usb the C: drive
          Now I make the usb flash bootable by running fdisk from 98 boot floppy. I make the usb one partition and mark it as active, then format /s c: once thats done I use fdisk /mbr.

On the PC I create this on it works fine, however the dam shoebox of a dell GX260 still says Missing Operating System as does a laptop I've tested it on so I think we'll have to purchase an external CD rom to sort this unless someone can help further ?

Comment

Andy, this is not what wullieb suggested....
            create a bootable floppy on your flash drive
            copy the i386 folder from the CD to your flash key
            Boot your machine using the flash disk
            cd (change directory - my note) to the i386 folder
            run winnt.exe
            Go for it ...

Added:
            Just to be sure: phases 1 and 2 are to be done on your PC, that has CDdrive. Phases 3-5, on your Dell laptop.
            Last edited by sorinso; 23rd August 2007, 15:03.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Try downloading this.

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/fi...oad/23839.html

Use that utility to make your drive bootable.

On another PC insert above drive into a USB slot and insert the Windows 2000 CD into the CD.

Copy the entire i386 folder from the CD to the USB drive.

Boot the faulty machine using the USB key.

cd (change directory) to the i386 folder on the USB key.

Run winnt.exe and this will start the windows 2000 installation from DOS.

Comment

Well I tried it all indeed I did.

Made USB flash bootable and tried you suggestions but for some reason nothing worked some driver issues.
                I did get RIS to work in a fashion but again a driver issue, even after I'd placed the drivers for the Intel Pro 1000 nic in the $oem$ folder

I even went out and bought a USB external CD/DVD Rom but the PC could not even see that in the BIOS.

I have now resolved to obatin (From the guys who built them ) a CD rom for the PC (bespoke) and if that fails I'll be opening a window on the second floor.

Many thanks for your suggestions
                Last edited by AndyUK; 30th August 2007, 12:39. Reason: Ommited info

Comment

Originally posted by AndyUK View Post
                  Well I tried it all indeed I did.

Made USB flash bootable and tried you suggestions but for some reason nothing worked some driver issues.
                  I did get RIS to work in a fashion but again a driver issue, even after I'd placed the drivers for the Intel Pro 1000 nic in the $oem$ folder

I even went out and bought a USB external CD/DVD Rom but the PC could not even see that in the BIOS.

I have now resolved to obatin (From the guys who built them ) a CD rom for the PC (bespoke) and if that fails I'll be opening a window on the second floor.

Many thanks for your suggestions
                  If the external CDRom is not seen then i would defiantely check your BIOS and make sure that it is set to boot from USB.

Comment

the PC could not even see that in the BIOS
                    How exactly you expected to see it in BIOS?
                    I hope not in the list of IDE/SATA drives... Actually, I don't think there is any place you can see it in the BIOS.
                    The only place you can see it (and should see it, as wullieb1 said), is in the list of devices you can boot from.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
                    -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                      How exactly you expected to see it in BIOS?
                      I hope not in the list of IDE/SATA drives... Actually, I don't think there is any place you can see it in the BIOS.
                      The only place you can see it (and should see it, as wullieb1 said), is in the list of devices you can boot from.

Yep your right but it just won't see it
                      I suspect it has something to do with USB as apposed to USB2 ie the BIOS is original USB and the CD is USB2. They never went over BIOS vA03 on this model although they went upto A09 on the GX260.

Well at least I didn't have to open a window

Comment

What options do you get if you restart and press F12??

Comment

If the flash drive is installed

1. IDE
                          2. NIC
                          3. USE FLash

BIOS includes a usb device and I can select this option

With the USB CD and no flash inserted

1. IDE
                          2. NIC

BIOS says USB not installed so I cant select it

I did test the CD drive and it works fine in windows and other PC's via the BIOS.

I'm just glad I got the thing sorted before I had to resort to violence

Comment

It would seem your BIOS is picking up the USB device as it gives you the option to boot from it.

Did you select the device and try booting from it??

What happens when you used the software from HP to create a bootable flash drive?? I know this definately works as i've used it many times before.

It seems strange to me that it gives you the option to boot from the device then fails to load anything.

Comment

Working...
                            X