Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lost usb

On my PC there are 2 xp pro systems.
    Lately on one of them, I cant use the mic and on the control panel-system the usb camera and hp1310 printer, connectied to usb are unknown devices and cant be re installed
    the usb's in the control panel appear Ok
    is there a way to reinstall the usb without re installing XP?
    thnks

Re: lost usb

Try reinstalling the motherboard drivers. Get the latest ones from the manufacturers website.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by mzik View Post
      On my PC there are 2 xp pro systems.
      You're talking about dual boot, and not about a virtual XP into another one, aren't you?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
      -

Comment

Yes, its dual boot, so the hard ware is ok

Comment

Exactly.
          Try biggles' advice and let us know.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            Try reinstalling the motherboard drivers. Get the latest ones from the manufacturers website.
            Tried, didnt help
            thnks

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
              You're talking about dual boot, and not about a virtual XP into another one, aren't you?
              Yes, its Dual boot

Comment

Try to uninstall the drivers from Device Manager. Disconnect the devices from USB and restart the computer. Then install the devices from scratch, according to their installation guide.
                Usually, both HP printers and cameras start the installation and ask you to connect the device only afterward.
                Good luck and keep us posted.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
                  Try to uninstall the drivers from Device Manager. Disconnect the devices from USB and restart the computer. Then install the devices from scratch, according to their installation guide.
                  Usually, both HP printers and cameras start the installation and ask you to connect the device only afterward.
                  Good luck and keep us posted.
                  Sorry, but it didnt help
                  I tried to solve it more drasticly by trying to reinstall XP in update mode, but-
                  I have operating systems on c:, e: and g: (tripel boot)
                  The "bad" instalation is on g:, but it started the instalation on c:
                  how to make it install as upgrade on g

Comment

"Update mode"? Are you talking about Repair, maybe?
                    If so, when you enter the Repair mode, it should scan your disks and give you all the OS installations it can find, so you can choose what OS you need to repair. Haven't you see this list?
                    Just to be sure: what boot manager are you using?
                    Last edited by sorinso; 23rd August 2007, 04:56. Reason: it just crossed my mind that ...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

No, the setup screen shows the possibility to install without destroing previous app installation
                      It says "update" or "upgrade", sorry I didnt write it down exectly

Comment

Are you running the XP install CD from inside a running operating system? If you want to "upgrade" the G drive install then you need to boot from the XP CD and do a Repair install (choosing the second repair option) on the G drive. This can be a bit tricky because you don't get a choice of drive letters when you do this.

Why do you need a double or triple boot XP machine. Consider Virtual PC 2007 as an option. Makes life a lot easier and less complicated.
                        1 1 was a racehorse.
                        2 2 was 1 2.
                        1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                        2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Hi
                          so how can I choose the instalation letter?
                          I use tripel boot because:
                          on c: I have win98se that Ineed because I maintaine some 98 machines
                          e: is the main xp pro instalation and g: have test system that I try varios things I download from the web
                          thnks

Comment

If this is the reason you're using a triple boot, then you should follow biggles' advice and move to virtual machines.
                            Two free (and best, in my opinion) options are Microsoft's Virtual PC 2007 and VMWare's Server (registration needed, but it's free).
                            I like VirtualPC2007 more, it's nice and nifty. VMWare Server has two major advantages, in my opinion:
                            - USB support (the old VPC2005 had none, things might have changed in the newer version, I only started working with it few weeks ago and did not test the issue yet);
                            - dynamic memory allocation (not all the memory you allowed a virtual machine to take is reserved to it, but the VM gets the memory by its needs).

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Originally posted by mzik View Post
                              Hi
                              so how can I choose the instalation letter?
                              I use tripel boot because:
                              on c: I have win98se that Ineed because I maintaine some 98 machines
                              e: is the main xp pro instalation and g: have test system that I try varios things I download from the web
                              thnks
                              You will need to choose the Partition the XP O/S is installed on. If you choose the wrong one you will wipe what is on that partition.
                              1 1 was a racehorse.
                              2 2 was 1 2.
                              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                              X