Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing XP in a SATA drive without drivers in a floppy disk

Hi there!

I really want to know if there are any solution to install Windows XP in a SATA hard drive without using a floppy disk containing the drivers.
    I prefer to put the drivers into a pen! It is possible to install the XP OS in a SATA hard drive this way??

Thanks in advance

Re: Installing XP in a SATA drive without drivers in a floppy disk

if you have one of those zip drives that is recognized as a floppy drive, then yes. i have one that was made by edge tech. an it works like a floppy...

otherwise, i dont think so.

you can edit the ISO to include the drivers you need so they are on the CD. this will prevent the need for a disk or drive.
    its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
    Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

errr.... I installed a retail copy of Windows XP Pro on my Dell's shiny new 160Gb SATA drive without any drivers whatever. (I have the Dimension 4600i). I just put the XP disk in, booted, and then selected the appropriate volume in SETUP. Why isn't yours like that?

Regarding USB Pen Drives acting like floppy disks, this is a BIOS feature as far as I'm aware, not a pen drive feature. Check your BIOS manual.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Customize you Windows XP and add the SATA drivers.
        There are some great free tools available on the net.
        One of them is Nlite.
        http://www.nliteos.com/
        [Powershell]
        Start-DayDream
        Set-Location Malibu Beach
        Get-Drink
        Lay-Back
        Start-Sleep
        Wake-Up!
        Resume-Service
        Write-Warning
        [/Powershell]

BLOG: Therealshrimp.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post
          Regarding USB Pen Drives acting like floppy disks, this is a BIOS feature as far as I'm aware, not a pen drive feature. Check your BIOS manual.
          maybe i have the only one then...

its made by EDGE technologies, its a one gig flash drive with floppy emulation.

i plug it in the USB port, and a floppy drive appears in windows, and the drive appears also... i plug it in an boot up a knoppix disk, it recognizes 2 floppies... the actual floppy and the EDGE floppy.

i am able to boot from it and use it as a floppy drive... (1 of) my computers at home doesnt have a floppy drive, and it requires RAID drivers to install, and this thing works to install the RAID drivers with after pressing F6...

i actually had an issue with one of them and had to contact EDGE. i wanted to remove the floppy functionality, but they told me it was part of the firmware and was required to use the drive.

its the only one ive seen like that. the new ones emulate CDROMs but not floppies.
          its easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.
          Give karma where karma is due...

Comment

Ahhh - I see! I was on about just booting from it as if it were a floppy; most newer BIOS' enable one to select the USB Floppy Emulation so that it thinks ANY pen drive is a floppy disk... but this is only from boot or (with the DOS Drivers) in DOS.

I had no idea you could also do floppy emulation in Windows...

Tom
            For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

What version of XP are you installing?

I believe that SP2 has SATA drivers integrated. Been awhile since I've had to manually install drivers for SATA during setup.

.....or was it SP1 that added SATA support?
              CCA: XenApp 5.0

Comment

Originally posted by James Haynes View Post
                maybe i have the only one then...

its made by EDGE technologies, its a one gig flash drive with floppy emulation.

i plug it in the USB port, and a floppy drive appears in windows, and the drive appears also... i plug it in an boot up a knoppix disk, it recognizes 2 floppies... the actual floppy and the EDGE floppy.

i am able to boot from it and use it as a floppy drive... (1 of) my computers at home doesnt have a floppy drive, and it requires RAID drivers to install, and this thing works to install the RAID drivers with after pressing F6...

i actually had an issue with one of them and had to contact EDGE. i wanted to remove the floppy functionality, but they told me it was part of the firmware and was required to use the drive.

its the only one ive seen like that. the new ones emulate CDROMs but not floppies.

Baager my apologies for going but James, have you got a make/model/part number for this floppy emulating flash drive. I know about 5,000 techs in OZ that would kill for that. Had a look on http://www.edgetechcorp.com but couldn't find any reference to the device you refer too. Is this the correct site?

If you can provide any more info URL etc about your device, post it back here and I can move this to a new thread (or a Sticky) in the Misc Forum. With FDD not included in many desktops and now servers a device like you have is a necessity. Maybe you could by a shitload, setup a website and on sell them. (Personally I would purchase at least 4 and then treat them like gold).
                1 1 was a racehorse.
                2 2 was 1 2.
                1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
                2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
                X