Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Product Key used to install Windows is invalid."

Hi all,

I'm trying to install Windows XP Pro on an IBM 600x ThinkPad with a brand new hard-drive. I keep getting as far as the "enter product key" screen, then it sends me the pop-up telling me that "The Product Key used to install Windows is invalid." My key is definitely not invalid. To be sure, I tried a code from a functioning XP box & I get the same message.

After hunting around various archives for suggestions, I tried using a different install CD, & checked the CMOS clock-settings & battery..no luck. Thinking it might be a resources issue, I tried installing Windows 2000 [with a valid install code] & I get the same message.

WTF? Any suggestions would really be appreciated.

Re: "The Product Key used to install Windows is invalid."

You will have activate Windows via telephone then.

Comment

Originally posted by ffelix View Post
      Hi all,

I'm trying to install Windows XP Pro on an IBM 600x ThinkPad with a brand new hard-drive. I keep getting as far as the "enter product key" screen, then it sends me the pop-up telling me that "The Product Key used to install Windows is invalid." My key is definitely not invalid. To be sure, I tried a code from a functioning XP box & I get the same message.

After hunting around various archives for suggestions, I tried using a different install CD, & checked the CMOS clock-settings & battery..no luck. Thinking it might be a resources issue, I tried installing Windows 2000 [with a valid install code] & I get the same message.

The only people who can provide any meaningful response to this enquiry are (a) your Vendor (of the machine and of the Windows licence) and (b) Microsoft. It is however possible that you are using a code for another vendor's machine.

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

How do you know the product key is valid?

If it is the one on the COA sticker on the machine, contact the vendor

If it is a different OEM key, it may be BIOS locked so will not work on the Thinkpad

If it is a generic key (retail XP or corporate VLK) then contact Microsoft

Are you sure you havent made a typo (1 for I or 0 for o perhaps)?

Tom
        Tom Jones
        MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
        PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
        IT Trainer / Consultant
        Ossian Ltd
        Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Originally posted by ffelix View Post
          Hi all,

What key are you trying to use?? No i don't mean post your key i mean where are you getting it from.

What OS version is the key from?? XP, 2000, 98 etc, etc. Using a 98 key on a 2000 CD will not work.

What disk are you using?? Retail, OEM, VLK?? This has a bearing on whether you have entered a valid key.

Comment

Working...
          X