No announcement yet.

XP Profile error at logon

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XP Profile error at logon

Okay. I've narrowed this one down, but can't find a final resolution. Nothing in Microsoft's Knowledege Base that I can find. Most of the answers out there regarding this problem are pretty bogus. So without further ado,

Here's the error:

(Title is "User Environment")

[Windows cannot locate the server copy of your roaming profile and is attempting to log you on with your local profile. Changes to the profile will not be copied to the server when you log off. Possible causes of this error include network problems or insufficient security rights. If the problem persists, contact your network administrator.]

I am getting this on some, but not all XP Pro desktop machines on my network as I roll them out. Never got this on the 200 or so Win 2000 desktops that preceded them. Interestingly, it doesn't occur at every lan drop. In other words, I can take the same machine, move to another location, log on with the same account, and I don't get the error. What I have found is that the error is occuring at the same locations, which appear to be random in terms of which switch they're running to (we have two Dell switches.) By the way, the error only occurs with a cold boot.

After some experimenting, I discovered that even though the logon prompt appears quickly (sometimes within 5 seconds), the machine is not truly ready for logon. If I wait about 30-45 seconds or so after the logon prompt appears, I don't get the error.

The resolution I thought of was to delay the logon prompt from appearing until all services have loaded, but I'm not sure how to do this. I found the following link on your site, but still feel a little shaky on how to proceed:

I'm just not sure which services I need to make changes to.

Can you all provide me with the specific regedits I need to make this happen? Thanks.