Windows XP HOME to Windows 2000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP HOME to Windows 2000

I have been trying to help my cousin fix her TOSHIBA 5105-S607 WINXP HOME machine as it would not boot. On startup, it kept getting the error message "Isass.exe password is incorrect trying to update a password the return status indicates the value provided as the current password is not correct". She has never had nor used any passwords on this machine. It kept looping and recycling, rebooting back to that message. This was after I installed SP2 from MS Update. As she did not receive a recovery / installation CD with the OS on it when she purchased her machine some 5 years ago, I installed WIN2000 on her machine. Now I cannot get anything to work. No local area connection ICON to get me to connect to upgrade the WIN2000 OS I just put on. Any suggestions / help with how I'm able to get that icon and others I'm sure are missing is appreciated.

Re: Windows XP HOME to Windows 2000

You probably have not installed the device driver for the network card yet. You'll have to use another computer to download the drivers from the Toshiba site and save them to a CD or a memory stick, then install the drivers on the Toshiba. Once the hardware device drivers are installed, you will then get the network icon.
    Best wishes,
    PaulH.
    MCP:Server 2003; MCITP:Server 2008; MCTS: SBS2008

Comment

If you don't have the original driver disk from the OEM, then from another machine, you'll need to download the win2k drivers from Toshiba, and burn them onto a CD. Then take the CD over to the Toshiba (laptop?) and load the NIC driver. At least your CDROM should be supported natively by win2K.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulH View Post
        You probably have not installed the device driver for the network card yet. You'll have to use another computer to download the drivers from the Toshiba site and save them to a CD or a memory stick, then install the drivers on the Toshiba. Once the hardware device drivers are installed, you will then get the network icon.
        whoops! collision - yes, what Paul said

Comment

Thanks for the responses. That certainly makes sense so I downloaded the driver file I believe I needed to both a SNAPDrive and a CD from my working machine. I then tried to load the driver exec file to the PC I just put the WIN2K image on, and it would not accept the SNAPdrive nor the CD. When I plug the SNAPdrive in, WIN2K identifies a mass storage device and that's it. I try to get to it through RUN and or Windows Explorer, and it does not show up. When I try to get the exec file from the CD, I get an error message when I select the CD ROM drive that says "D \ Is not accessible, incorrect function". Any suggestions on what I should do now? Thank You!

Comment

Hmmmmmm....
            I would download all the drivers available from Toshiba for this specific laptop and put them on an USB stick.
            Then boot the laptop from a LiveCD (Windows- or Linux-based, doesn't matter) and copy the files from the stick to the local hard drive. Then boot the laptop with Win2000Pro and install all the drivers.
            If you need LiveCDs, check BartPE (Windows-based) or Knoppix (Linux-based). There are a lot of them out there, these two I work with and I know they are legal.
            Good luck.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
            -

Comment

Working...
            X