Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

W2K to XPPRO SP1 upgrade went wrong - restarts on boot.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• W2K to XPPRO SP1 upgrade went wrong - restarts on boot.

I'm screwed! Fairing the worst, knowing better, I went to upgrade my last up-to-date W2K NTFS partition (drive 0, part 1) to XP Pro SP1 (without backups).

I run the upgrade from within a folder on a different partition. All went smoothly until time of last reboot. Now the system simply refuses to boot, restarts directly as the OS loads. Same in all safemode modes, naturally a little slower, showing some drivers load first..
    I have an old W2K recory console in the boot menu that however also crashes (restarts system) when logging into the problem partition.

I have a second XP (SP2) (drive 1, part 1) from before on the system, as well as W2K3 installation (drive 0, part 3), which both works (system compatible, AMD Athlon 1800 on Gigabyte GA-7RXP/VIA KT-333, no really fancy cards, etc).

I have tried to replace ntoskrnl.exe and hal.dll in case of being corrupt - not helping. I made a booting installation CD, but that won't offer me an option of a repair, simply to install from scratch when selecting correct partition (the create/delete/install on partition screen). I have tried to run with "fail safe" defaults brom bios, but it wont make a difference.

I have TONS of software installed on the now problematic partition, a lot to which I longer have stored purchase proofs or original medias, impossible installation paths, ie Photoshop with a trillion plugins, originally upgraded from some bundled version 6 years ago - I simply need to recover somehow! I know this is the place of knowledge:
    I beg you, please help me!

Have you tried booting from the XP CD and run the Repair option?

Maybe before you try anything, make a Ghost (or similar) image of the affected partition so it can be restored when the worst of the worst happens.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77
      Have you tried booting from the XP CD and run the Repair option?

Maybe before you try anything, make a Ghost (or similar) image of the affected partition so it can be restored when the worst of the worst happens.
      It will not offer a Repair option, only briefly an (F2) ASR option, and goes then to screen with list over partitions.

Comment

Ok, using a different media it seem to give a "Repair" screen, and allow me to logon to the partition. What next?

Comment

Situation resolved. What exactly did it remain a mystery.

With a SP2 streamed CD I went for the F6 option (load SCSI for Alcohol 120%??) and Repair install after I had first heavily streamlined the registry (removing everything not needed to load) and turned off from system hive the restart recovery. It seemed that I had done more or less the same stuff already earlier, but suddenly instead of stop error I went to GUI and voila..!

Happy ending - thanks for any efforts to assist.

Comment

Working...
          X