Windows XP slower than Windows 2000

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windows XP slower than Windows 2000

I have a network that had Windows 2000 clients in one state connecting to network shares across a wan link in another state. Some of the computers were recently upgraded to Windows XP. The XP machines are extremely slow accessing the files across the network. Since the Windows XP computers are going back into the same place as some of the Windows 2000 machines I know that it is not a network problem. What is the bottleneck on the XP machines. I have turned off automatically search for files and folders and removed scheduled tasks from the registry. What else should I be looking for. These computers have 2GB of RAM compared to 320MB on the Windows 2000 computers. I have also checked the dns and made sure that it was set up properly to go back to the main server.
    Last edited by ashm231; 1st August 2007, 20:50. Reason: adding information

Re: Windows XP slower than Windows 2000

Hi.
    The problem might be from a lot of things...
    What are the shares sitting on?
    Do you have DNS, or WINS in your subnet? Or in the remote one? Have you tried to write the server' name (the server that the share resides on ) in the HOSTS file? Or, if you're using NetBios, LMHOSTS?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Originally posted by sorinso View Post
      Hi.
      The problem might be from a lot of things...
      What are the shares sitting on?
      Do you have DNS, or WINS in your subnet? Or in the remote one? Have you tried to write the server' name (the server that the share resides on ) in the HOSTS file? Or, if you're using NetBios, LMHOSTS?
      If you read what I said at the top it is not a dns problem. I have exhausted all dns problems. Manually putting entries has no effect. I have used the netperf-a4 utility to check all lines so I know that it is not a wiring problem. If you put an old win 2000 machine back in its place it works fine. It drags when you are viewing the files in the directories. Once you open the file it works fine. It is like the Win XP machines have an file indexing problem. Does Win XP have a switch to turn on or off fast indexing or something.

Comment

Well, you can always stop the Indexing Service on one of the stations and see if it helps.
        As a local administrator, run Services.msc. Stop the service and change its Startup Type to Manual.
        Let's see.

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

Working...
        X