Access Denied

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access Denied

I keep getting this message when trying to open a folder in C:\Documents and Settings\%username% (user was local account).
    Background:
    1). PC was on workgroup.
    2). PC joined Domain.
    3). Had problems with domain name on server-PC unjoined domain (went back to original workgroup name).
    4). dcpromo Server and renamed domain.
    5). PC joined new domain.
    6). I am not able to access original username folder.

I have tried logging in locally and from the network with enterprise admin rights and with local admin account but still get "Access Denied" on this folder. Can anyone help?

Take ownership of the folder and give yourself appropriate NTFS permissions.

Looks like the folder is owned by domain account that no longer exists and the NTFS permissions point to the old domain accounts that are also gone.
    Guy Teverovsky
    "Smith & Wesson - the original point and click interface"

Comment

The folder was originally a local profile folder. I have tried taking ownership but it wont let me gain access to the properties of the folder either.

Comment

Hi,

Are you able to copy the profile of this user account?
        If yes, maybe you'll be able to open or to take ownership of this folder.
        Let me know if your problem is solved.

Bye

Comment

No, it wont let me do anything at all directly with the folder. As soon as I "click" or "Right click", it tells me access denied.

Comment

Working...
          X