confused by difference in data storage between window 98 and XP

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• confused by difference in data storage between window 98 and XP

I would be grateful for help in explaining how, when I stored data on a CD in Windows 98 it was similar to using another hard diskbut when I changed to XP I get messages about ready to burn and I just cannot seem to make the CD a data disk that I can transfer and store data. On the Windows 98 I used Creative software and that also does not work with the XP in the same way. An explanation of what is going on would be appreciated and suggestions as to how I can make a data back up disk as I did with Windows 98 would be great.
    Regards
    Stan

Re: confused by difference in data storage between window 98 and XP

Bounceallback,

When you receive a message about "ready to burn", you should click that balloon. From there you can click "Write these files to CD". This will then burn the data onto the CD.

I honestly do not remember the way it was done in 98, but I think you're saying that in 98 you could just drag and drop files to the CD while in XP you are required to perform the additional aforementioned steps.

On another note, I would recommend using a third party program (I personally use Roxio) to burn CD's. Sometimes Windows XP burn CD's that others cannot open on different machines. Others may disagree, but this is just from my experience.

Comment

I have never used the XP burning app (which I believe is a cut down version of Roxio). Much better to use a third party application and get the extra functionality that goes with it. Just a few to look at. http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=e...e+Search&meta= Get a trail version and have a play with it before it times out. That way you won't waste money on something you don't like. Personally I like(d) Nero but like most things now it too has become bloatware.
      1 1 was a racehorse.
      2 2 was 1 2.
      1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
      2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Drag to Disk

Thanks for the information. On checking further it seems that what I need is called Drag to Disk. How can I do this on XP and what is the difference between this and burning

Regards
        Stan

Comment

Sounds like a Packet Writer. It enables you to "format" a rewritable CD or DVD and then use it like a very large floppy disk. Maybe this is what you had on the 98 setup. Nero uses InCD. Drag to Disk is the Roxio version. http://www.google.com.au/search?sour...rag+to+Disk%22
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
          X