DNSApi Error !

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DNSApi Error !

I cant ping this machine with name. Performing ping a 10.8.1.181 brings up the different name which is being witched off. I created new account in AD and took this machine off the domain and rejoined it, still no success. I tried ipconfig /registerdns, released and renewed the IP, purged the DNS cache on this machine, still no success. I also performed Nbtstat RR. Any Ideas?

Event Type: Warning
    Event Source: DnsApi
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 11163
    Date: 7/16/2007
    Time: 3:29:42 PM
    User: N/A
    Computer: COMPUTER11
    Description:
    The system failed to register host (A) resource records (RRs) for network adapter
    with settings:

Adapter Name : {****6048-C776-4157-AE8C-***********}
    Host Name : Computer11
    Primary Domain Suffix : compus.co.**
    DNS server list :
    10.7.46.16, 10.7.46.17
    Sent update to server : 10.1.1.1
    IP Address(es) :

The reason the system could not register these RRs was because the DNS server failed the update request. The most likely cause of this is that the authoritative DNS server required to process this update request has a lock in place on the zone, probably because a zone transfer is in progress.

You can manually retry DNS registration of the network adapter and its settings by typing "ipconfig /registerdns" at the command prompt. If problems still persist, contact your DNS server or network systems administrator.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
    Data:
    0000: 2d 23 00 00 -#..

Re: DNSApi Error !

Check to see if the rogue name has been entered in a HOSTS. file.
    1 1 was a racehorse.
    2 2 was 1 2.
    1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
    2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by samdazz View Post
      Performing ping a 10.8.1.181 brings up the different name which is being witched off. I created new account in AD and took this machine off the domain and rejoined it, still no success.
      Hi,
      It might also be an idea to have a look and see if there are any entries for that IP in your DNS.
      It sounds like you at least have a reverse lookup for that IP someplace.

Can I ask, the old user of 10.8.1.181 has been switched off or is being switched off?
      I don't know anything about (you or your) computers.
      Research/test for yourself when listening to free advice.

Comment

Definitely sounds like a DNS issue.

Like Maebe said, check your DNS server to see if there's any entries for the old machine. If there is, delete them and then run ipconfig/registerdns on the client.
        Regards,
        Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
        Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
        www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Yes, there was an old entry sitting in the DNS, deleted it and it fixed the issue. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Thanks for posting back. It's always good to have resolution and it may help others in the future.
            Regards,
            Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
            Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
            www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
            X