IE 6 issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IE 6 issue

I recently implemented some website restrictions using IE Content Advisor. Unfortunately, a site I used to go to is now giving me an error which it did not give me prior to the Content Advisor implementation. In addition, this error disappears if I disable the Content Advisor.

Here's the error:
    ===================================
    Server Error in '/dotnet' Application.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    ====================================

I currently have IE Content Advisor enabled, I removed ALL restricted sites, and I set nudity, language, etc to be allowed. This did not solve the problem. It seems that IE Content Advisor being enabled is the cause.

Any ideas?

Any help will be appreciated.

Re: IE 6 issue

Sounds more like a server problem, not a client...
    Have you tried the same site from another computer, with the same IE version?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

The issue is affecting all computers on the domain. I tried a computer that is NOT on the domain and I am having the same issue when the Content Advisor is enabled.

Seems like IE Content Advisor affecting ASP.net or something like that. Any ideas?

Comment

What about a computer that is not part of the domain, and does not have the Content Adviser enabled?
        Can you post the site, so I check it too?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
        -

Comment

I have a laptop that is not on the domain and does have Content Advisor enabled - same issue as the computers at the office that are on the domain.

I cannot provide the URL because it's within the password protected area of the site.

Comment

NP about the URL. Had to ask, although I was pretty sure that if you could post it, you would already.
            Can you check the issue on a computer that does not have the Content Advisor enabled?
            I never encountered the issue, so it is important to be sure that the Content Advisor is the problem maker. I started looking for the problem on the Net and there might be an issue. I'll keep looking and let you know.

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

The issue is nonexistent on the same computers if I disable the Content Advisor.

Comment

Is the site secured (https)?
                Does something here helps: http://techrepublic.com.com/5208-623...&tag=rbxccnbd1 ?

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

The site has 2 logins. One login and then another login at another page. Both are https and only the second one gives me an issue.

Comment

Hmmmm...
                    Is the Content Advisor necessary? The more I read, the more I get the feeling it will not be easy to solve... Part of it because it depends on what happens on the server side, how the application is built. Take a look here: http://mailman1.u.washington.edu/pip...ay/001913.html
                    So I'm starting to think about C.A. ....

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

I feel that blocking sites is important. Maybe I can use HOSTS files somehow and deploy it to the indiv machines from the server in order to block sites? Do you recommend this?

Any other options you can think of without investing in a firewall or 3rd party software?

Comment

Well, I'm not an expert in the field, but this is the job of proxy servers. If you have one, than shouldn't be a problem. If not, there are a lot of Linux-based solutions available, that are free.
                        It might be better than to use HOSTS file, that can be a pain in the ass to update enterprise-wide...

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

I will let you know what I come up with.

Comment

OK.
                            Don't give up yet, there are a lot of good guys here that may have more ideas than myself... So, before you're doing any revolutions, wait few more days (if you can afford it).

Sorin Solomon

-

Comment

Working...
                            X