Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wifi not up until login, no login until wifi up!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wifi not up until login, no login until wifi up!

Hi,

I have a very silly problem. We have a bunch of dell laptops on XP Pro with wifi. The problem is the wifi doesn't come on until you have logged in, but of course being in a domain you need to have access to the network before you can log on to a network account!

So far people have done cheap workarounds of plugging in cables, logging on the first time and then from that point on just using the cached credentials.

This has annoyed me enough now to want to find a solution. Most of the wifi's are controlled by either the Intel wifi app or the in-built Windows Zero-G Configuration.

Any ideas on what I should do to make the wifi come up before the log on?
    Perhaps this is only an Intel utility trait because the utility is only launched when the the user logs in whereas the Zero-G windows way is a service?

Re: Wifi not up until login, no login until wifi up!

IIRC the intel (centrino) driver allows you to establish the connection on bootup
    Tom Jones
    MCT, MCSE (2000:Security & 2003), MCSA:Security & Messaging, MCDBA, MCDST, MCITP(EA, EMA, SA, EDA, ES, CS), MCTS, MCP, Sec+
    PhD, MSc, FIAP, MIITT
    IT Trainer / Consultant
    Ossian Ltd
    Scotland

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

My WiFi was always on whether I was logged on or not... ?? (I know this because I can use "LogMeIn.com" to get to my wifi-connected desktop at home and log in remotely...

Tom
      For my own and your protection, I do not provide support by private message under any circumstances. All such messages will be deleted and ignored.

Anything you say will be misquoted and used against you

Comment

Correct, wifi as service allows you to connect before the user logs in, whereas wifi as a startup app will only allow you to connect after they log in (and the app loads of course).
        ** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points where appropriate **

Comment

Do the laptops have the Dell wireless chipset in them or the Intel? If you are using the Dell wireless LAN utility you can set that to authenticate before logging onto the domain. Once this set, the software will connect to the wireless network after a user inputs their username and password for the domain.
          Justin
          A+ Net+ MCP

Comment

Originally posted by Stonelaughter View Post

My WiFi was always on whether I was logged on or not... ?? (I know this because I can use "LogMeIn.com" to get to my wifi-connected desktop at home and log in remotely...
            It would be handy if you told me what controls your wifi.

justinmirsky: I believe they mainly have Intel. Anyway, I'll look again at the utility but I will probably just get it be run by windows instead.

Comment

All of our laptops have the wifi cards in them and we have no issues getting logged onto the network.

Can you tell us what types of cards are in the laptops.

Have you tried the latest drivers from Dell??

What setting are set in the BIOS.

On our Dells we have the cards set to bot application and Fn2 key.

Comment

humbletech99

i had the same problems with dell laptops i solved it with installing the wifi app via cmd line and some switch i used.
                the switch enabled the wifi before login...

i don't remember the cmd switch but if you tell me the laptop type and wifi model ill try to help...

Yaniv F
                MCSE 2000 Done
                RHCE Done

Comment

Working...
                X