Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Messed up right-to-left support on XP

Hi all,

I work on a fairly new workstation, with fully updated XP PRO SP2 installed. I work a lot with Hebrew, and at the beginning I had no problems. However, at some point the right-to-left support got screwed. I can still read and write Hebrew letters, but on certain occasions the letters are ordered backwards, from left to right.

The problem seems to happen only on plain text controls. I can't use Notepad properly now (for both reading and writing), but the browser or Word display Hebrew text just fine. It should also be noted that on the problematic controls I can't change the text alignment, and it is always aligned to the left. On the ones that display Hebrew properly, there's no problem changing the alignment both ways.

I've tried everything I could think of in the Regional and Language Options applet, to no avail. I've uninstalled all the Hebrew code pages, and installed them back again. No change. I was hoping unchecking "Install files for complex script..." and checking it again will help, but it didn't. This is so annoying. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Eran
    Last edited by erangi; 12th July 2007, 13:31. Reason: Another fix didn't work...

Re: Messed up right-to-left support on XP

I can think of two reasons: a faulty font file or some mix-up of language settings.
    Do you by any chance have the Hebrew MUI installed?
    Does it happen to all users on the computer? Are you at home or at work, in an AD environment?
    Can you check what options (related to Hebrew) do you have checked in Regional and Language Options -> Advanced -> Code page conversion tables?
    When you're writing in Notepad, what font do you use? Can you try to change it to other Hebrew font?

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
    In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -
    «««««

Comment

Thanks, Sorin.

I do not have the Hebrew MUI installed. The problem appears in all user accounts. The problem is at work, where we do have an AD. I have all the Hebrew code pages selected. Changing the font on notepad doesn't make any difference.

I have two computers that were bought and installed together, and have the same configuration. One has this problem and the other not. I made sure the regional options are the same on both computers, so I doubt it if the solution is within that applet. I can compare any files or registry settings, but I have no idea what might cause the problem and were to look.

Comment

Hi - the obvious place to look first would be checking for malware, Trojans, worms and other mischief makers. But with your knowledge of computers I suppose you already have done that, correct ? - Amos

Comment

Hi, Amos.
          Do you know of any malware that does the above symptoms to Hebrew?

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
          In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
          -
          «««««

Comment

My computer is well protected, so I doubt any malware has gotten to it. I first noticed this problem a few months ago, and I haven't seen any suspicious activity on the computer since. However, it does make sense the problem was caused by some installation. I'm a programmer, and I have several development tools installed. These installations might send deep roots into the OS, and one might have caused the damage.

As said, the problem first appeared several months ago. Until now it wasn't annoying enough for me to go ahead and try to solve it. Sadly, this means that identifying the causing installation, if any, is impossible. Also, I cannot rollback to a working backup.

Comment

Indeed will be tough to try to identify the one to blame...
              I am taking the opportunity to suggest you to use one of the virtualization products: VmWare or Virtual PC/Server for testing and development purposes. This way, your "mother ship" computer will not be affected and possible bugs (well, I know there is no way of you having bugs in your programming ) will be easy to overcome (both products have undo options).

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
              -
              «««««

Comment

Hello Sorinso - I have never encountered this specific problem and so do not know of any bug that might have caused it. But there are scores of thousands of the buggers, so it never hurts to check. Or do you disagree? Amos

Comment

Testing for malware is always a good step. I was just curious if you have more specific info, or if you ever encountered the problem?

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                  -
                  «««««

Comment

Hi - just for curiosity's sake: Have you got the international version of XP with Hebrew among the languages of choice, or does your Windows speak Hebrew in the first place, that is your menus etc. are all in Hebrew? Amos

Comment

Re: Messed up right-to-left support on XP - Solved

Probem solved!

For the sake of future Googlers, Here’s the solution: Turns out part of the right to left support comes from a DLL called usp10.dll, which resides in the system32 folder. I had the version that came with SP2, and for some reason it wasn’t loaded into the processes whose GUI wasn’t displaying Hebrew correctly.

I looked around for other versions of that DLL. Then I tested them by copying notepad.exe to a tmp folder, and putting the DLL with it. Some versions displayed Hebrew correctly, others didn’t. Finally, I rebooted into safe mode, and replaced the system32 version with one of the working versions. And that was it - after the next reboot, Hebrew was displayed correctly.

I can’t say I completely understand the fix – the fact that the non-working DLL wasn’t loaded at all while the working one is troubles me a bit. But since it seems to be working fine, I’ll make do with that solution.

Thanks for your time,
                      Eran

Comment

Thanks a lot for letting us know. And I am glad you solved the problem.

Sorin Solomon

»»»»»
                        -
                        «««««

Comment

Nice work erangi. Thanks for sharing! I'm sure it will be helpful to others to know how you solved your issue!

Regards,
                          Jeremy

Network Consultant/Engineer
                          Baltimore - Washington area and beyond
                          www.gma-cpa.com

Comment

Working...
                          X