Download problem in IE6

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Download problem in IE6

Not sure if this is the correct forum for this question, but here goes.

I have IE6.0.2900 running in XP Pro service pack 2. The computer is a client on a small Server 2003 network - also SP2.

On this machine, and only on this machine, I am unable to download files. Whe I click on a file link, the file download dialogue opens, but superimposed on it is a smaller box, with the words "File download", a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark, and an OK button. Clicking the button causes both boxes to close.

As I say, it doesn't seem to be a problem with the domain, because a) it doesn't happen on other clients, b) I'm logged on as an administrator, and c) no policies have been set on the domain regarding downloads.

I've surfed fairly extensively through Microsoft support, but I can't find the symptom listed, let alone the cure.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Re: Download problem in IE6

Could you please post a screenshot of this anomaly?
    Sounds like a third party app (a download manager? firewall?)...

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.
    -

Comment

Hi - if you have Download Accelerator installed, try removing it and then reinstalling. If not, try downloading it and perhaps it will take over the download problem and rid you of it. Good luck - Amos

Comment

Thanks for the replies. A screenshot of the box that comes up is attached.

I'm not running any download managers. Windows firewall is on, but turning it off doesn't change the result. In any case, the firewall is using the domain settings, and I can download normally from other clients in the domain.

I shall try installing a download manager and see if that helps.
        Attached Files

Comment

"small Server 2003 network" What does this mean? Is it a small network running 2003 Server or is it a typo for Small Business Server 2003?
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Originally posted by biggles77 View Post
            "small Server 2003 network" What does this mean? Is it a small network running 2003 Server or is it a typo for Small Business Server 2003?
            The former.
            Thanks.

Comment

Reinstall IE6 or install IE7 (or Firefox etc) and see if that fixes it. You didn't mention if you have a proxy running on the network. Also, do you only have the one download window open when you do this or are there multiple windows running?
              1 1 was a racehorse.
              2 2 was 1 2.
              1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
              2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Working...
              X