No announcement yet.

Stop prying eyes

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stop prying eyes

I'd like to stop access to my workstation's C-drive, primarily from the network. I am a member of a group of admins in a corporate environment, but I do not want the other admins to be able to access my workstation's C-drive to view a personal folder. Here's what I would like:
    1. Disable access to my C-drive from the network
    2. If possible, implement the above, but still be able to access the C-drive using my personal credentials only
    I can't remove the C$ share as it will be re-instated automatically the next time the workstation is rebooted. What can i do?
    +-- JDMils
    +-- Regional Systems Engineer, DotNet programmer & Jack of all trades

Re: Stop prying eyes

Well, it all depends on who is part of your local Administrators group. If the others Admins are there too, it's pretty tough to achieve what you wish... If not, playing with the NTFS permissions might be a solution.
    So, what about the local group? How many members do you have in there?

Sorin Solomon

In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure.

What does say?

Solution is easy.....USB drive/key. That way personal folder will not exist anywhere except in your control. If I was an Admin on your system I would be extremely curious as to why you need a Personal folder and would find some way to see what you were hiding.
      Departed: 23rd December 2015

I believe as admins we should always practice what we preach. We should not ever need to create secret locations from fellow admins, as biggles77 states, this will only arouse unnecessary curiosity.

One rule I have for the corporate environment is, whatever you are doing, whether it be an email or otherwise, would you be happy for anyone to have a look at it? If the answer is yes, then you have no need to hide anything, and if its a no, maybe you should question why you need it at your workplace?

Hope this helps you view it from a different angle?