Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to recover EFS encrypted file

Hi,

I have secondary hard disk with a folder that I encrypted when it was still installed on a Windows 2000 Pro machine. Unfortunately, that machine had been returned already because it was only loaned. Now I installed that hard disk to a Windows XP Pro machine and it can be accessed. The problem is that the encrypted folder could not be accessed even if I logged in as domain administrator. The former Win2K Pro machine was part of a domain so the default recovery agent should be the domain administrator, right? I tried to import the certificate of the domain administrator to the WinXP machine but the private key could not be exported. I already took ownership of the files that were encrypted but to no avail. I also tried to add the domain administrator's certificate but it was not successful. The error reads:

"The specified network resource or device is no longer available."

even if the machine is still connected to the network.

Please help me how to recover the encrypted files.

TIA,
    Migs

Get the key from the 2k machine that the HD came from or say goodbye to the folder.
    make xp behave:

Comment

I used to think so myself until I stumbled upon this tool:

http://www.lostpassword.com/efs.htm
      Cheers,

Daniel Petri
      Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
      MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

$200... Did you try it and did it work as advertized?
        make xp behave:

Comment

Http://Xof7.tk, your little joke above was not funny or appreciated. Do not EVER imply or suggest using illegal software on this board. It shall not be tolerated. Thank you.

When the forum moderator reads this, could you please delete this and Http://Xof7.tk's above post. Ta.
          1 1 was a racehorse.
          2 2 was 1 2.
          1 1 1 1 race 1 day,
          2 2 1 1 2

Comment

Done.
            Cheers,

Daniel Petri
            Microsoft Most Valuable Professional - Active Directory Directory Services
            MCSA/E, MCTS, MCITP, MCT

Comment

...but the question remains:

$200... Did you try it and did it work as advertized?

Originally posted by Daniel Petri (Mitsu)
              I used to think so myself until I stumbled upon this tool:

http://www.lostpassword.com/efs.htm
              make xp behave:

Comment

Re: How to recover EFS encrypted file

i've tried it and i've also tried a better on. http://www.elcomsoft.com/aefsdr.html

howerver i'm not sure if it will work in your case as your using a complely different machine. i know it works when one of the keys are lost but not sure if both are. you can try it though i believe it has a free trial that will let you know if it will decript them or not.
                MCSE 2000\2003, A+
                00000001-00000011-00000011-00000111

Comment

Working...
                X