No announcement yet.

Error starting VNC service

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Error starting VNC service

I have a machine running VNC, a 2000 pro box I believe, and I am having trouble accessing it.

I have tried restarting the vnc service with a remote mmc to services, but I get the following error:
    Could not start the VNC Server Version 4 service on MACHINENAME
    Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion
    and then
    Unable to query status for service VNC Server Version 4. The remote connection on MACHINENAME has been broken.
    The system encountered the following error while reading the list of services on MACHINENAME
    Error 6: The handle is invalid.
    Then all the services disappear.

I have also tried:
    psexec \\machinename cmd
    net start winvnc4
    which gives the following error
    The service is not responding to the control function.
    Then I get
    Error communicating with PsExec service on soupdragon2
    The specified network name is no longer available
    Any ideas how I can fix this and get my vnc back short of rebooting? (people are using this with long running processes so I am not in such an easy position to reboot)

Re: Error starting VNC service

I think rebooting is your only option and if that fails I think it's a re-install. Can you not schedule the reboot during non business critical hours or even give users advance notice of the reboot?

Michael Armstrong
    MCITP: EA, MCTS, MCSE 2003, MCSA 2003: Messaging, CCA, VCP 3.5, 4, 5, VCAP5-DCD, VCAP5-DCA, ITIL, MCP, PGP Certified Technician

** Remember to give credit where credit is due and leave reputation points sigpic where appropriate **

Re: Error starting VNC service

you know what users are like, I can hear the complaints now...